This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1314 / 52°7'53"N
Longitude: -4.513 / 4°30'46"W
OS Eastings: 228093
OS Northings: 251105
OS Grid: SN280511
Mapcode National: GBR D5.7Z33
Mapcode Global: VH2MK.QPJD
Plus Code: 9C4Q4FJP+HR
Entry Name: Glandwr
Listing Date: 21 September 1964
Last Amended: 20 June 1995
Source ID: 9901
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on W bank of Afon Saith, approached by drive of some 400m running S from Aberporth-Tresaith road just W of junction with road to Penbryn
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Early C19 small country house, probably built for the Lloyd-Williams family of Gwernant, Brongest. Owned by Edward Lloyd-Williams 1841. In 1870s and 1880s rented or owned by the Evans family of Newcastle Emlyn, solicitors, the family of Anne Adaliza Evans, the novelist "Allen Raine". Interior detail of centre landing and skylight similar to Treforgan, Llangoedmor, said to be of c1810. Both have been attributed without evidence to John Nash.
Earlier C19 country house, dated 1809 on an ex situ fireplace beam. Whitewashed roughcast with large hipped slate roof, close-eaved, and two whitewashed rendered axial stacks. Two-storey, three-window E front. First floor narrow 4-pane-sashes, ground floor Gothic pointed-arched heads to two French windows and centre door. French windows have been lengthened and have shutters. 6-panel door with traceried overlight, later stucco surround. Both sides have additions, originally two-window elevations with Gothic windows below. On N two 4-pane sashes to original first floor, and large C20 flatroofed addition. On S, one similar 4-pane sash to left, and to right, one-window addition in matching style. Addition is slightly taller, hipped, with matching E and S fronts, 16-pane first floor horned sash over Gothic ground floor window, lower and wider than original ones. 16-pane sash to W rear wall and long stair light in angle. C20 flat roofed addition in SW angle. Rear W has lean-to addition raised in C20.
Original house has unusually neat Regency plan with centre staircase, corner rooms and small dressing rooms between first floor bedrooms on front and rear. Ground floor is generally altered, NE room has reeded ceiling border and blocked pointed N side window, later C19 fireplace, NW room had similar side window now door, and SW room has resited 1809 beam. Entrance hall has later C19 encaustic tiles and simple reeded ceiling border. Elliptical stair arch and simple stick baluster dog-leg stair, unusual in being apse-ended and backed by a curved rail central to first floor landing. Landing is square with six doors off. Centre skylight, circular with plaster border and conical plastered opening rising up to a roof-light. Doors give on to four corner rooms and two former dressing rooms all with coved ceilings and reeded borders. SE room has been subdivided for passage through to SE addition. No original fireplaces.
A good example of an early C19 gentry house of unusual plan.
Other nearby listed buildings