This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0821 / 52°4'55"N
Longitude: -4.6614 / 4°39'41"W
OS Eastings: 217731
OS Northings: 245978
OS Grid: SN177459
Mapcode National: GBR CZ.BY51
Mapcode Global: VH2MP.5X1R
Entry Name: The Old Shire Hall
Listing Date: 16 June 1961
Last Amended: 14 April 1992
Source ID: 10488
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated at south end of High Street, projecting forward from line of adjoining buildings.
Community: Cardigan (Aberteifi)
Built-Up Area: Cardigan
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Founded 1764 but possibly not completed until 1797, altered 1827-30 by
David Evans of Cardigan, possibly by addition of High Street front, though this has 1844 painted date on clock. Repaired in 1875. Built for the assize courts, held there until 1889, with corn market on lower floor, subsequently a warehouse, now a furniture shop.
Long narrow 2-storey building in blue lias rubble with painted blue lias ashlar street front and slate roofs, hipped behind front parapet. Early photographs show a bell-turret on roof hip. Street front has 2-storey arch, presumably originally open, now with C20 infill, plain raised imposts to side piers voussoirs with raised outer arch and raised keystone horizontally ribbed. Above is low attic storey with sill course, pair of centre windows in rectangular recess, modern windows but recessed stone voussoirs probably original, plain frieze, cornice and parapet. Short return to north, facing down High Street with ground floor arch over pavement, blank first floor and attic level painted clockface, dated 1844. Long side walls partly revealed on south side by demolition of No 2 High Street and 2-storey west end, canted 3-sided with arched ground floor windows in arched recesses and 12-pane sashes above. Lower windows with radiating glazing bars. This part is illustrated in 1812 engraving.
Former Corn Market has plain ceiling with timber cross beams. Steps up at west end to raised part with 6 heavy painted Roman Doric columns supporting stuccoed lateral beams under upper floor. Modern seventh column to support beam cut for C20 stair. Upper floor has 2 main rooms the larger, over Corn Market, has plaster shallow barrel vault and modillion cornice. Three 12-pane sashes to north, 3 6-pane upper windows on south side. East end has 3 arches, timber panelled piers and fielded panelling in arches, the centre arch giving access to stairs to attic front room. At east end is handsome octagonal room, 3 sides open to main room, with 2 free-standing Roman Doric columns and 2 attached to wall. Entablature, modillion cornice and octagonal shallow plastered dome with centre rose.
Other nearby listed buildings