This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1932 / 52°11'35"N
Longitude: -4.3116 / 4°18'41"W
OS Eastings: 242092
OS Northings: 257510
OS Grid: SN420575
Mapcode National: GBR DG.3TDQ
Mapcode Global: VH3JY.64ZK
Plus Code: 9C4Q5MVQ+79
Entry Name: Former National School
Listing Date: 12 July 1989
Last Amended: 16 February 1996
Source ID: 10707
Building Class: Education
Location: Situated some 100m NW of Llanina Arms inn, on N side of B4342 road to New Quay.
Built-Up Area: Llanarth
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
1859-60 National School by R.J. Withers, enlarged with additional classroom to SW by Withers in 1867. A timber and slate fleche on the main ridge was lost some time ago. Since listing in 1989 all but one window has been altered, the two main chimneys removed, and crested ridge tiles have gone.
Coursed grey rubble stone thinly banded in red brick with slate roofs. Window heads and flush sills in limestone ashlar, jambs in sandstone. Single-storey, T-plan, originally with only a short hipped centre porch projection, but this was extended in 1867 for additional classroom.
The main schoolroom chimney stack was on ridge of lower projection, close to junction, and there were crested ridge tiles. The fleche was on ridge of main range towards SE end. The added classroom had a big battered side-wall stack, truncated now at eaves. The windows were like those on Withers' Cardigan Guildhall, small-paned with centre timber mullion and shouldered heads (all replaced since 1989 with plain hardwood glazing). Main range has subtle brick banding, related to window heads and sills, a double band at sill level and three single bands in gable ends, one to side walls. Gable ends have two long windows with chamfered shouldered surrounds and pointed relieving arches. Small rectangular vents in gables. Side has two windows each side of projecting wing, similar shouldered heads and relieving arches. Projecting wing has original 1859 door each side with similar head and relieving arch. Ledged door with strap hinges survives on SE side. Beyond is classroom addition of 1867: SE side has broad chimney breast with set-off sides (lost stack had two further pronounced set offs). NW side has two flat-headed windows, one with original 12-pane sash. Gable end has single long window with segmental-pointed head. At NE corner of main range a flat-headed doorway with ashlar lintel spans gap to corner of Llanarth villa, former teacher's house.
Single room in main range with stone side-wall fireplace, 5-sided beaded opening and heavy shelf. Six scissor roof-trusses. Cusping in angles of purlins and trusses.
Included, notwithstanding post-1989 alterations for group value with Llanarth Villa (former teacher's house) and as a reminder of the best High Victorian Gothic school group in Cardiganshire.
Other nearby listed buildings