History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Llanarth Villa

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanarth, Ceredigion

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1932 / 52°11'35"N

Longitude: -4.3114 / 4°18'41"W

OS Eastings: 242107

OS Northings: 257512

OS Grid: SN421575

Mapcode National: GBR DG.3TG0

Mapcode Global: VH3JY.742J

Entry Name: Llanarth Villa

Listing Date: 16 February 1996

Last Amended: 16 February 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17724

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated just NE of former National School, at beginning of lane from B4342 New Quay road up to parish church.

County: Ceredigion

Community: Llanarth

Community: Llanarth

Built-Up Area: Llanarth

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Llanarth

History

1859-60 former teacher's house for Llanarth and Llanina National School, by R.J. Withers.

Exterior

Coursed grey rubble stone thinly banded in red brick with slate half-hipped roof and crested ridge tiles. Attractive sandstone squat ridge stack with battered base and half-round ashlar flue dividers. Battered rear wall tall chimney. One and a half storeys, double fronted. High Victorian Gothic style. 16-pane sashes to ground floor with chamfered ashlar surrounds, ashlar lintels and flush sills. Pointed stone relieving arches. Centre door has shouldered head to ashlar surround and similar relieving arch, the ledged door with strap hinges recessed within. Red brick bands at sill and springing level of relieving arches. Front has subtly asymmetrically-placed upper window, 9-pane sash with similar ashlar surround but no relieving arch, the head breaking eaves under stone gable with small vent loop.
Left end wall has window each floor with relieving arch, but C20 glazing replaces sashes. Right end has first floor 16-pane sash with relieving arch.
Rear right has C20 cement block 2-storey addition, rear left outshut roof.

Reasons for Listing

Part of a very good High Victorian Gothic school group in the simplified style pioneered by G.E. Street and William Butterfield in the late 1850s. The school has been altered but the house still retains most of the original features.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Former National School
    Situated some 100m NW of Llanina Arms inn, on N side of B4342 road to New Quay.
  • II Milestone outside School
    Situated on S side of A 487 just W of Llanarth Primary School.
  • II Aurora
    Situated at the upper end of SW side of Alma Street (A 487), attached to Hafan to E.
  • II Hafan
    Situated at upper end of SW side of Alma Street (A 487), attached to Aurora to right.
  • II The Vicarage
    Situated some 200m W of Llanarth church, prominently on hillside.
  • II Ty'r Alma
    Situated in row of houses on SW side of Alma Street (A 487), the third from top, stepped down between Hafan and Arwel, joined to Arwel.
  • II Coach-house and Stable Range at the Vicarage
    Situated immediately N of The Vicarage
  • II Alma
    Situated on SW side of Alma Street (A 487), the sixth house stepped down, between Maescastell and Gorphwysfa, attached to both.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.