This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3658 / 52°21'56"N
Longitude: -4.0589 / 4°3'32"W
OS Eastings: 259908
OS Northings: 276189
OS Grid: SN599761
Mapcode National: GBR 8S.S582
Mapcode Global: VH4FK.LSKR
Entry Name: Henblas
Listing Date: 20 December 1989
Last Amended: 24 February 2004
Source ID: 10711
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated down a short drive below A485, backing on to the river Ystwyth.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Country house of c1800-20 with some older work incorporated. Formerly known as Abermad, part of the Strata Florida abbey estates leased to Jenkin ab Ievan ap Lewis in 1533. Owned by the Lloyd family in the late C16 and early C17, acquired in 1656 by James Jones or Johnes of Dolaucothi, High Sheriff in 1671, who paid tax on 3 hearths in 1670. Thomas Johnes, High Sheriff 1737, was imprisoned for 3 years in 1757 over debts to Herbert Lloyd of Peterwell. Sold to Robert Lloyd of Oswestry who may have built present house c1800-1820, incorporating some late C17 work. In 1813, owned by Mr Gataker, son-in-law to Robert Lloyd. From 1840-52 owned by the Trawscoed estate, in 1841 Isaac Rowlands, farmer of 400 acres(162 hectares), was here with his wife, 3 children, 2 grandchildren and 6 servants. Sold in 1854 to Lewis Pugh of Aberystwyth who made his fortune with the Copa Hill lead mine and died in 1868, his heir Lewis Pugh Evans (who changed his name to Lewis Pugh Pugh) built the new Abermad mansion nearby (in Llanilar C) in 1870-2.
Country house in late Georgian style, painted stucco with hipped slate roof with centre valley, flat eaves and two C20 brick chimneys in valley. Three storeys, 3-window range of sashes, 16-pane to main floors and square 12-pane to top floor. Centre door recessed 6-panel door, 4 fielded and 2 flush panels, all with curved rebates to corners, with traceried overlight. Matching panels in reveal with octagonal panels each side of overlight and in soffit. C20 Bath stone columned porch of 2 columns and half-column responds, moulded cornice. Front door recess has added C20 iron outer screen doors with overlight. Stucco detail added since 1971 photograph, includes channelled angle piers, rustication to ground floor and window surrounds with shoulders and keystones. Right side elevation similar 2-window range of 12-pane horned sashes. Left side, also 2-window, is similar but blank window top left and C20 windows top and bottom right. Rear 3-window range with casement pair windows to top floor, an unusual first floor window of 30 tiny panes, with iron opening section, C20 window first floor right, 6-pane horned sashes first floor and ground floor left. Centre boarded door with overlight and single storey outbuilding attached to right, with brick end stack, window, door and triple casement to E front.
Not inspected, said to have 6-panel doors, panelled shutters, and window surrounds with small bosses. Late Georgian staircase. The dining room has a chamfered cross beam indicating an older building reused.
Included as a substantial late Georgian gentry house with good surviving detail.
Other nearby listed buildings