History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Church School

A Grade II Listed Building in Ceulanamaesmawr, Ceredigion

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4605 / 52°27'37"N

Longitude: -3.9385 / 3°56'18"W

OS Eastings: 268386

OS Northings: 286490

OS Grid: SN683864

Mapcode National: GBR 8Y.L4WY

Mapcode Global: VH4F7.PF65

Plus Code: 9C4RF366+5H

Entry Name: Former Church School

Listing Date: 19 September 1997

Last Amended: 19 September 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 10713

Building Class: Education

Location: Situated in village opposite the church, on W side of lane running ESE from main valley road.

County: Ceredigion

Town: Aberystwyth

Community: Ceulanamaesmawr

Community: Ceulanamaesmawr

Locality: Bontgoch/Elerch

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Talybont

History

Former church school of 1856 said to be by George Edmund Street, architect. Built for the Rev. Lewis Gilbertson, Vice-Principal of Jesus College, Oxford and son of W.C. Gilbertson of Plas Cefn Gwyn. It was used as the church until the church was built in 1868.

Exterior

Squared rubble stone with steeply-pitched slate roof and prominent slated timber W ridge bellcote. Rectangular one-room plan with small projecting SW addition. S side has very large near central side-wall stack with external chimney-breast and upper part with two steps in. Upper part has been rendered. Narrow single light windows to left and right. Left addition has door in angle and S end window. Original doorway within. Bellcote, just in from W end, has moulded squat timber posts with brackets supporting steep slated 4-sided spirelet with iron cross finial. Original bell. W end has been rendered, and has plain rectangular large timber-mullioned window, possibly altered. E end has timber-traceried tall pointed 3-light window with stone voussoirs. N side has centre gable over big brick-framed cambered-headed window, possibly an addition. Lean-to to right, outbuilding left.

Interior

Six-sided rafter roof with one tie-beam and king-post under bellcote. S wall fireplace has been blocked.

Reasons for Listing

The only work in the county by one of the leading Victorian architects, albeit minor. Of significance also as part of the group of buildings given by the Rev. L. Gilbertson, including the church and vicarage.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II* Church of St Peter
    Situated in village on S side of lane running ENE from main valley road, about 150m E of junction.
  • II The Old Vicarage
    Situated in the village of Bontgoch, in sloping gardens on left side of road some 150m N of the bridge.
  • II Y Felin
    Situated in Bontgoch, some 50m N of the bridge on W side of road.
  • II Outbuilding at Y Felin
    Situated between house and mill, in Bontgoch just N of the bridge on W side of road.
  • II Mill at Y Felin
    Situated above River Leri in Bontgoch just NW of the bridge, and below the house and outbuilding.
  • II Gate to Plas Cefn Gwyn
    Situated some 150m down drive to Plas Cefn Gwyn, on W side of road some 500m ENE of Bontgoch.
  • II Plas Cefn Gwyn
    Situated some 500m NE of Elerch parish church, off to W of road, above steep valley of the Leri.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.