This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4646 / 52°27'52"N
Longitude: -3.9433 / 3°56'35"W
OS Eastings: 268074
OS Northings: 286962
OS Grid: SN680869
Mapcode National: GBR 8Y.KXBN
Mapcode Global: VH4F7.L9PZ
Entry Name: Plas Cefn Gwyn
Listing Date: 6 December 1995
Last Amended: 19 September 1997
Source ID: 16738
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated some 500m NE of Elerch parish church, off to W of road, above steep valley of the Leri.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Small country house of c1818 built for William Cobb Gilbertson (1768-1854), father of the Rev. Lewis Gilbertson (1815-1896), for whom Elerch church, school and vicarage were built. W.C. Gilbertson came from Shadwell, London c1789 and settled first at Dolclettwr. Baptism records suggest that he moved to Cefn Gwyn in 1818.
Colourwashed stucco with hipped slate roof, paired modillion brackets to eaves, two rendered rear wall stacks and half-hipped rear projection. Two-storey, three-window front with hornless first floor sashes, lattice iron glazing bars. Ground floor French-windows and centre door, all with double half-glazed doors, square panels below, lattice glazing-bars above and to overlights. Verandah around three sides with canted angles and slim iron columns, 10 to front, spaced two each side of door and three at outer angles. Three similar columns to end wall verandahs. End walls have big latticed-glazed ground floor sash. N end has also blank first floor window.
Rear projection has generally C20 windows, two-storey, three-bay, but centre first floor has lattice-glazed sash. One side stack. Small windows to N side, low addition to S.
Early C19 interior with elliptical arch to staircase, which has moulded rail and stick balusters. Similar landing arch. Six-panel doors in reeded doorcases with roundels, simple cornices, panelled shutters. Built-in cupboards or desks. NE room has later C19 fireplace with painted scenes, removed from an inn in Talybont. C20 fireplace in SE room.
A good small late Georgian country house with original interiors, the iron lattice glazing very unusual.
Other nearby listed buildings