History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rectangular Walled garden and attached Outbuildings at Llanerchaeron

A Grade II Listed Building in Ciliau Aeron, Ceredigion

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2182 / 52°13'5"N

Longitude: -4.2253 / 4°13'31"W

OS Eastings: 248078

OS Northings: 260109

OS Grid: SN480601

Mapcode National: GBR DK.2JKK

Mapcode Global: VH3JS.QH3W

Plus Code: 9C4Q6Q9F+7V

Entry Name: Rectangular Walled garden and attached Outbuildings at Llanerchaeron

Listing Date: 15 November 1990

Last Amended: 23 May 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 10719

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated to S of farm complex at Llanerchaeron, some 150m SE of the house.

County: Ceredigion

Community: Ciliau Aeron

Community: Ciliau Aeron

Locality: Llanerchaeron

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Llanerch-Aeron

History

Early C19. The foundations of garden walls were laid in 1827, but this may refer to the eastern garden, different in construction to the other, which is wholly of red brick: the latter may be close in date to the 1794 remodelling of the house.

Exterior

Large pair of walled gardens of some 150m length overall and 45m width, roughly 1.5 acres in extent. First garden to W has high brick walls with clay tile coping. Second garden has rubble stone outer facing (brick inside) and the S wall is all of rubble construction. Brick dividing wall. First garden has cambered doorway towards left end of W side. Similar door in line to dividing wall. Outer garden with cambered doorway to N wall, 6-panel door: another door in S wall. On N wall of first garden, another doorway and bases of various demolished greenhouses: one concrete greenhouse survives. Among these remains are brick-lined underground heating flues.

Along outside of N wall are various outbuildings. First garden has, to right of main door (within rear courtyard of coach House) a late C19 6-bay lean-to store, slate roofed on timber posts. To left of door is mid C19 lean-to range (not on 1844 Tithe map), partly incorporated in the 1863 farmhouse. Three doors to right, all except the middle blocked, with inserted windows: 2-light 12-pane window to left, timber lintels. Two brick chimney stacks on garden wall, one towards the farmhouse.

To W of farmhouse, against N wall of second garden is a range of mid/late C19 lean-to rubble buildings with slate roofs. Four open sheds divided by rubble walls with single wooden post each and stone enclosing walls to small front areas. At W end is enclosed section with slate roof extended out over former area and various small rooms within. Small rubble pigscot in angle with barn range.

Reasons for Listing

Impressive example of formerly common ancillary structures to country houses. Group value with Llanerchaeron and other estate buildings.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.