This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2186 / 52°13'7"N
Longitude: -4.226 / 4°13'33"W
OS Eastings: 248028
OS Northings: 260159
OS Grid: SN480601
Mapcode National: GBR DK.2BF0
Mapcode Global: VH3JS.PHQK
Plus Code: 9C4Q6Q9F+FH
Entry Name: U-Plan Coach House and Stable Range at llanerchaeron(Previously listed as sited at Llanaeron House )
Listing Date: 15 November 1990
Last Amended: 23 May 1996
Source ID: 10721
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The first of the extensive range of outbuildings at Llanerchaeron, some 100m E of the house.
Community: Ciliau Aeron
Community: Ciliau Aeron
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Built c.1800 (shown on 1844 Tithe map). The (ruined) W wing was used in the early C20 as a battery house, where electricity was made from power generated by the water wheel.
Coach House with stables in three sided courtyard open to N. Colourwashed rubble construction with slate roofs, hipped to outer angles and ends of wings. Roof to E wing replaced in corrugated asbestos with brick chimney stack to S. Taller lofted coach house to centre of S range with triple arcade to front: tall round headed arches with stone voussoirs and paired planked doors. Four-panel door to each side in returns of single storey wings, cambered stone voussoired heads. Rear with detached stone stair to loft (used as a fruit store). Loft door with gable breaking eaves.
Matching wings: most of the W wing has collapsed. Five bay courtyard fronts. E wing with, from N: W.D.W.D.W.D. The outer windows are 2-light 12-pane casements, the central wider, with 4-light 24-pane casement. Six-panel doors, lower 4-panel door to right. Cambered stone voussoired heads and stone sills. The three N bays of the W range survive and repeat the openings as above. Ends of wings each with blank round arched recess, that to E with painted glazing bars. E side of E wing with small mounting block towards N end. Window with cambered stone voussoired head. Three small rectangular recesses. Rear wall of wing with blocked door and 6-pane window, heads as above. To rear of remains of W wing is added W.C. Pitched stone forecourt.
To rear is small added square courtyard abutting garden wall. In NW corner is a small pit with slate steps, containing a brick lined furnace, which heated underground flues for the nearby nursery beds and cloche: a late C19 arrangement.
Coach House with 4-bay collar-truss roof, rough trusses and collars, paired purlins: iron staples and bolts. Loft used as fruit store. Cast iron fittings in stable.
In poor condition (summer 1995)
Group value with Llanerchaeron and other estate buildings.
Other nearby listed buildings