This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8797 / 51°52'46"N
Longitude: -4.0631 / 4°3'47"W
OS Eastings: 258084
OS Northings: 222138
OS Grid: SN580221
Mapcode National: GBR DS.RNT4
Mapcode Global: VH4J2.J0BV
Entry Name: Gardener's Cottage Café at Aberglasney
Listing Date: 20 September 1990
Last Amended: 30 January 2003
Source ID: 11155
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On the W side of the house and attached to the NW corner of the arcaded terrace.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Aberglasney was built by Bishop Rudd of St Davids from 1600 and was one of the largest houses in Carmarthenshire according to the hearth-tax assessment of 1670. It was sold in 1710 to Robert Dyer, who rebuilt and extended the house in the general form in which it now survives. It has been argued that the general layout of the gardens was the work of the Rudd family in the C17. Further major development was undertaken in the early C19, after the purchase by the Philipps family, which included the construction of coach houses and farm buildings around a courtyard NW of the house.
Gardener''''s Cottage Café was probably built in the early C19 as a cottage and workshops, and is shown on the 1839 Tithe map. It was restored c1990.
A rubble-stone 2-storey range divided into 3 units, with slate roof hipped to the N end and half-hipped to the S end where it abuts the arcaded terrace. Stacks have been removed. On the E side are openings in the lower storey only. In the S unit is a pointed doorway with boarded door. The central unit has a pointed doorway flanked by pointed casement windows, all with tympana. The N unit has a segmental-headed doorway with boarded door, and a 2-light casement to its R under a similar head.
The rear has openings in 2 storeys, with segmental-headed 2-light casements. In the upper storey are 5 windows, of which the L-hand, in the N unit, has dressed voussoirs. In the lower storey is a segmental doorway to the L end. The central unit has a doorway offset to the R of centre flanked by casement windows, of which the R-hand has a stone lintel and is a single casement. Further R is a segmental-headed doorway with boarded door in the S unit. Abutting the N end is the N wall enclosing the pond garden.
Listed for group value with the attached arcaded terrace, and as an integral component of one of the most important historic gardens in S Wales.
Other nearby listed buildings