This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8798 / 51°52'47"N
Longitude: -4.0638 / 4°3'49"W
OS Eastings: 258039
OS Northings: 222146
OS Grid: SN580221
Mapcode National: GBR DS.RNNQ
Mapcode Global: VH4J2.H0ZS
Entry Name: NE courtyard range at Aberglasney, incorporating stables and cart shed
Listing Date: 20 September 1990
Last Amended: 30 January 2003
Source ID: 11158
Building Class: Domestic
Location: To the NW of the house and at right angles to the lane to Grongar Farm.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Aberglasney was built by Bishop Rudd of St Davids from 1600 and was one of the largest houses in Carmarthenshire according to the hearth-tax assessment of 1670. It was sold in 1710 to Robert Dyer, who rebuilt and extended the house in the general form in which it now survives. It has been argued that the general layout of the gardens was the work of the Rudd family in the C17. Further major development was undertaken in the early C19, after the purchase by the Philipps family, which included the construction of coach houses and farm buildings around a courtyard NW of the house.
The NE courtyard range was built in the early C19 and is shown on the 1839 Tithe map, but extended, heightened and re-roofed for £475 in 1875-6 to designs by George Morgan of Carmarthen. It is shown on the 1887 Ordnance Survey as divided into 3 units, incorporating stables and cart shed. The central or N unit is probably the earlier, followed by the S unit.
A multi-purpose agricultural building of rubble stone with restored hipped slate roof. Built in 3 distinct phases separated by vertical joints. Below the eaves is a line of pigeon holes and corresponding ledge, probably integral with the final phase of addition, which is continuous across the front elevation except where it is broken by inserted windows. At the L (N) end is a 2-bay cart shed, which has cambered red-sandstone arches, to the R of which is a doorway with similar voussoirs, and an inserted window above breaking the line of pigeon holes. In the central unit is a central camber-headed doorway with stone voussoirs, and double boarded doors. It is flanked by casement windows under brick heads, with a similar casement inserted in the loft upper R. The R-hand (S) unit has a flat stone arch to a boarded door, offset on the R side. In the R end wall are twin lunette windows (obscured by vegetation at the time of inspection). To the rear the cart shed has a segmental-headed window, to the L of which is an added lean-to against the cart shed and central unit, below a stone eaves stack. The S end unit has a blocked window.
The roof has been reconstructed on new trusses. The cart shed has a small fireplace to the rear.
Listed as a well-detailed estate building retaining C19 character, for group value with other listed courtyard buildings and associated listed items at Aberglasney.
Other nearby listed buildings