History in Structure

SE courtyard range, incorporating bakehouse and cow house at Aberglasney

A Grade II Listed Building in Llangathen, Carmarthenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.8795 / 51°52'46"N

Longitude: -4.0642 / 4°3'51"W

OS Eastings: 258009

OS Northings: 222123

OS Grid: SN580221

Mapcode National: GBR DS.RNKJ

Mapcode Global: VH4J2.H0RZ

Plus Code: 9C3QVWHP+R8

Entry Name: SE courtyard range, incorporating bakehouse and cow house at Aberglasney

Listing Date: 20 September 1990

Last Amended: 30 January 2003

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 11160

Building Class: Domestic

ID on this website: 300011160

Location: To the NW of the house and on the S side of the courtyard reached via the lane to Grongar Farm.

County: Carmarthenshire

Community: Llangathen

Community: Llangathen

Locality: Aberglasney

Traditional County: Carmarthenshire

Tagged with: Courtyard

Find accommodation in


Aberglasney was built by Bishop Rudd of St Davids from 1600 and was one of the largest houses in Carmarthenshire according to the hearth-tax assessment of 1670. It was sold in 1710 to Robert Dyer, who rebuilt and extended the house in the general form in which it now survives. It has been argued that the general layout of the gardens was the work of the Rudd family in the C17. Further major development was undertaken in the early C19, after the purchase by the Philipps family, which included the construction of coach houses and farm buildings around a courtyard NW of the house.

The SE courtyard range was built in the third quarter of the C19 and is first shown on the 1887 Ordnance Survey.


A single-storey former cow house with workshop and bake house, of rubble stone with slate roof, which is hipped to the E end. Openings on the N side facing the courtyard have cambered stone heads. It has 4 blocked doorways placed to the central and R-hand. To the L of centre the small workshop has a window and boarded door, offset to the L of which is a blue brick stack. The bakehouse is entered from the L (E) end wall, where there is a boarded door with 2-light leaded casement to its R, behind which are original vertical iron bars. The SE angle is chamfered. The rear has single windows to the bakehouse and workshop under cambered heads, beyond which are 2 doorways flanked by windows, inserted to make a staff room in the 1990s.


The bake house has a flag floor and a wide fireplace under a brick segmental head, and a bread oven.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a well-detailed estate building retaining C19 character, and for group value with other listed courtyard buildings and associated listed items at Aberglasney.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.