This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0272 / 52°1'38"N
Longitude: -3.8175 / 3°49'2"W
OS Eastings: 275404
OS Northings: 238095
OS Grid: SN754380
Mapcode National: GBR Y3.GHQ8
Mapcode Global: VH4HF.S97R
Plus Code: 9C4R25GM+V2
Entry Name: Erryd
Listing Date: 29 March 1993
Last Amended: 29 November 1995
Source ID: 11179
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated 2km S of Cilycwm on W side of Towy, approached by short drive E from road to Llandovery.
Community: Cilycwm (Cil-y-cwm)
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
History: Mid C18 gentry house. Seat of Griffiths family from earlier C18. John Griffiths of Cilyllyn, Llansawel, d1740, inherited Erryd from the Prices of Ystradffin. The estate of 1200 acres was sold in 1812, the house and farm to William Davys of Neuadd Fawr. David Morgan was then living in the house. Rees Price of Bwlchtrebannau died 1828 at Erryd according to memorial in Cilycwm church, Mrs Price was tenant in 1845, and the Rev Thomas Matthews was living at Erryd in 1861. John C. Davies, tenant to 1871, emigrated to Emporia, Kansas. Williams family tenants to early C20.
Exterior: Rubble stone with cement rendered front, steep-pitched slate roofs with swept eaves, and roughcast end stacks. Two-storey, 5-window S front range and two rear wings. Front range has roughcast panelled stacks, larger to left. Cement plinth and rusticated quoins. Narrow 8-pane hornless sashes with stone sills and centre broad four-panel door with plain overlight. Door is set in earlier C19 pedimented gabled porch carried on tall slim octagonal slate piers, with half-pier responds. Square bases. Colourwashed rubble E end gable with C19 bargeboards, small attic casement and first floor 8-pane sash. Rendered windowless W end with C19 wavy bargeboards. NW rear wing is original, with first floor 8-pane sash and one C20 ground floor window on W side. Rendered N end stack. N gable has small attic light, and stair-lights to left, upper one with brick head, lower with 12-pane sash and timber lintel. NE rear wing, added in C19, is longer, with lower pitched roof and N end roughcast stack. E side has massive roughcast side-wall kitchen stack, one window range of 12-pane sashes to left and two-window range to right, here with 12-pane sashes to first floor, 16-pane sash and deeply-recessed door below. Stone voussoirs to heads. N end has two ground floor small windows. W side has one-window range of 12-pane sashes.
Interior: Three-panel doors to cellar and SW ground floor room, deep window recesses, fielded-panelled shutters and boxed-in beams to both front rooms. Blocked W end massive chimneybreast. C19 brick lining to two cellars. Broad mid C18 oak dog-leg staircase in four flights, with square newels, turned balusters and moulded rail. Steep steps off first landing to C19 wing. First floor landing has three-panel doors. SW first floor room has C18 cornice, full-height panelled cupboard (some panels C17 reused) with unusual ogee-derived ornament to top and stencil patterning inside. Roof has well-preserved triple-purlin roof with pegged collar-trusses, four to main roof, two to rear wing.
A good example of a mid C18 gentry house retaining its character.
Reference: F. Jones Historic Carmarthenshire Homes 1987 62
Information from owners.
Other nearby listed buildings