History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pont y Cefn

A Grade II Listed Building in Vaynor, Merthyr Tydfil

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7588 / 51°45'31"N

Longitude: -3.3962 / 3°23'46"W

OS Eastings: 303730

OS Northings: 207600

OS Grid: SO037076

Mapcode National: GBR HN.0DF5

Mapcode Global: VH6CY.22X1

Plus Code: 9C3RQJ53+GG

Entry Name: Pont y Cefn

Listing Date: 6 June 1962

Last Amended: 16 June 2003

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 11383

Building Class: Transport

Location: Situated on the S side of Cefn Coed-y-Cymmer some 0.5km NW of Cyfartha Castle, crossing the Afon Taff Fechan just S of the Old Cefn Bridge.

County: Merthyr Tydfil

Town: Merthyr Tydfil

Community: Vaynor (Y Faenor)

Community: Vaynor

Locality: Cefn Coed-y-Cymmer

Built-Up Area: Merthyr Tydfil

Traditional County: Brecknockshire

Find accommodation in
Merthyr Tydfil

History

Road bridge, built 1908-09 to take the main Merthyr Tydfil to Brecon Road over the Afon Taff Fechan replacing the C18 bridge just upstream. It also carried the electric tram of the Merthyr Tydfil Light Railway which opened 1901 with a terminus at the Morning Sun Inn, The new bridge enabled an extension N into the High Street at Cefn Coed-y-Cymmer in 1909-10. The bridge was the first ferro-concrete bridge in the area, this type of construction making possible considerable savings in weight and cost. It was repaired in 1949 at a cost of £223 and major repairs were undertaken in 1989 following a 24.5 tonnes load limit being imposed in 1985.

Exterior

Road bridge, ferro-concrete single open-arched structure with vertical piers in spandrels between the arch and carriageway. The balustrades and rails appear to have been modified or replaced. The bridge was built on a considerable skew over the Afon Taff Fechan with the carriageway 5.4m wide, parapets some 1.3m high and a 2.1m footpath on the N side only. The carriageway extends beyond the main bridge structure on the E side possibly to accommodate a path or track.

Reasons for Listing

Included as historically important as the first ferro-concrete bridge structure in the region.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Pont y Cefn
    Situated on the S side of Cefn Coed-y-Cymmer some 0.5km NW of Cyfarthfa Castle, crossing the Afon Taff Fechan just S of the Old Cefn Bridge.
  • II Old Cefn Bridge
    Situated on the S side of Cefn Coed-y-Cymmer crossing the Afon Taff Fechan just N of the present road bridge of the A470.
  • II Old Cefn Bridge
    Situated on the S side of Cefn Coed-y-Cymmer crossing the Afon Taff Fechan just N of the present road bridge of the A470.
  • II Limekilns south of Cefn Bridge
    Located on the bank of the Taff Fechan just south of Cefn Bridge. The upper level adjoins Brecon Road opposite the turning for Gurnos Estate.
  • II Carmel Welsh Baptist Chapel and attached schoolroom
    Set back from High Street at splayed junction with Holford Street and Pontycapel Road. Enclosed burial ground.
  • II Vaynor War Memorial and attached railings
    Near the centre of Cefn Coed-y-Cymmer on the NE side of the High Street.
  • I School at Cyfarthfa Castle
    Situated in its own landscaped park overlooking the Taff Valley and site of the former Cyfarthfa Ironworks.
  • II* Pont-y-Cafnau
    Small ironwork bridge spanning the River Taff immediately downstream from junction of Taf Fawr and Taf Fechan. Reached by an access road descending diagonally from Pont-y-Cefn (A470) and through EFI

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.