History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Cefn Bridge

A Grade II Listed Building in Gurnos, Merthyr Tydfil

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.759 / 51°45'32"N

Longitude: -3.3964 / 3°23'46"W

OS Eastings: 303720

OS Northings: 207620

OS Grid: SO037076

Mapcode National: GBR HN.06F3

Mapcode Global: VH6CY.21TX

Entry Name: Old Cefn Bridge

Listing Date: 11 July 1951

Last Amended: 5 November 2002

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 27061

Building Class: Transport

Location: Situated on the S side of Cefn Coed-y-Cymmer crossing the Afon Taff Fechan just N of the present road bridge of the A470.

County: Merthyr Tydfil

Town: Merthyr Tydfil

Community: Vaynor (Y Faenor)

Community: Gurnos

Locality: Cefn Coed-y-Cymmer

Built-Up Area: Merthyr Tydfil

Traditional County: Brecknockshire

Find accommodation in
Merthyr Tydfil

History

Probably late C18, said to have been built between 1775 and 1781. It carried the old Merthyr Tydfil to Brecon road over the Afon Taff Fechan and the Gurnos tramroad. The Gurnos tramroad connected the Vaynor limestone quarries to the nearby Cyfarthfa Ironworks. A bridge is shown on the road between Merthyr Tydfil and Brecon on the Plymouth estate map of 1766 surveyed by Edward John Eyre . It is called 'New Bridge' in a lease of 1763 and on a 1799 map of Glamorgan by George Yates. It is included in a 1832 list of Glamorgan county bridges and seems to have survived the calamitous floods of July 1854. By 1899 the Vaynor Parish Council was concerned about the dangerous state of the bridge and it was replaced c1910 by the current road bridge just S.

Exterior

Bridge, coursed rubble stone, single broad shallow arch with thin stone voussoirs. Low rubble stone parapets probably rebuilt, with later iron railings.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a C18 bridge of historical importance carrying the old Merthyr Tydfil to Brecon road over the Afon Taff Fechan and the Gurnos tramroad.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Old Cefn Bridge
    Situated on the S side of Cefn Coed-y-Cymmer crossing the Afon Taff Fechan just N of the present road bridge of the A470.
  • II Pont y Cefn
    Situated on the S side of Cefn Coed-y-Cymmer some 0.5km NW of Cyfartha Castle, crossing the Afon Taff Fechan just S of the Old Cefn Bridge.
  • II Pont y Cefn
    Situated on the S side of Cefn Coed-y-Cymmer some 0.5km NW of Cyfarthfa Castle, crossing the Afon Taff Fechan just S of the Old Cefn Bridge.
  • II Limekilns south of Cefn Bridge
    Located on the bank of the Taff Fechan just south of Cefn Bridge. The upper level adjoins Brecon Road opposite the turning for Gurnos Estate.
  • II Carmel Welsh Baptist Chapel and attached schoolroom
    Set back from High Street at splayed junction with Holford Street and Pontycapel Road. Enclosed burial ground.
  • II Vaynor War Memorial and attached railings
    Near the centre of Cefn Coed-y-Cymmer on the NE side of the High Street.
  • I School at Cyfarthfa Castle
    Situated in its own landscaped park overlooking the Taff Valley and site of the former Cyfarthfa Ironworks.
  • II* Pont-y-Cafnau
    Small ironwork bridge spanning the River Taff immediately downstream from junction of Taf Fawr and Taf Fechan. Reached by an access road descending diagonally from Pont-y-Cefn (A470) and through EFI

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.