This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6179 / 51°37'4"N
Longitude: -3.942 / 3°56'31"W
OS Eastings: 265645
OS Northings: 192794
OS Grid: SS656927
Mapcode National: GBR WS6.7T
Mapcode Global: VH4K9.MLCL
Entry Name: St. David's Priory R.C. Church
Listing Date: 30 March 1987
Last Amended: 30 March 1987
Source ID: 11615
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Within modern precinct of St David’s Centre and close to W of roundabout at bottom of Princess Way. E end to Rutland Street. Church orientated N and S.
Community: Castle (Castell)
Built-Up Area: Swansea
Traditional County: Glamorgan
1847. By C Hansom. Enlarged 1864 when nave lengthened and N aisle added. Renovated 1894 and 1907 when Lady Chapel added.
Plan of short chancel with side aisles, 5-bay aisled nave with dormer clerestory N and S porches, S vestry, confessionals and link building to Presbytery at SW. Late C13 Gothic style.
Dark snecked facings, pale sandstone dressings, slate roofs, tiled ridges, stepped buttresses. Steep E gable with parapet, Gothic oculus, 5-light traceried window with impaled trefoil lights and nook shafts, 3-light aisle windows (vertical joint at N aisle). Open bellcote over chancel arch, gabled ventilators, 2-light timber dormers (compare St Peter’s RC Church, Roath, Cardiff) with cusped bargeboards and diamond leaded glazing. Low aisle walls with 2 light windows (plate tracery S aisle; for tracery N aisle), cusped arch to gabled N porch. W front with tiled polygonal stair tower flanked by paired cusped lights under strainer arches, S aisle overlapped by Presbytery.
Railed forecourt with shouldered arches to stone gateways.
Interior with scissor-braced trusses on long wall-posts to chancel, arcades to side chapels with pitched ceilings. Tall chancel arch with head-stops, alternating polygonal and round moulded piers with crocket and acanthus leaves at NW corner, roof as chancel. Panelled dados, timber W gallery and screens, boarded aisle roofs with thin ribs.
Other nearby listed buildings