This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7133 / 51°42'47"N
Longitude: -4.9176 / 4°55'3"W
OS Eastings: 198541
OS Northings: 205649
OS Grid: SM985056
Mapcode National: GBR G8.T0V5
Mapcode Global: VH1S0.Q64D
Entry Name: Church of Saint Mary
Listing Date: 1 March 1963
Last Amended: 19 May 2004
Source ID: 11987
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: On the N side of Burton at the end of Church Road.
Town: Milford Haven
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Anglican parish church, medieval with unusual and rare early chapel on SE, St Andrew's chapel, possibly late C13, to which the rest of the church may have been added through the C14 to C15 or early C16. The evidence is not clear. Tower possibly built in two phases C14 and C15, as E side corbelled over nave, but corbelling may be to secure a larger priest's room. The base vaulted, stair access is from within the church to first floor. Nave probably C14 with the chancel but it is suggested that the N transept and S lean-to projection are added in C15 and also the big S porch.
Outstanding altar tomb to Richard Wogan c. 1540, the only such free-standing tomb in SW Wales apart from the Edmund Tudor tomb at St David's. Repairs recorded in 1689.
Restored 1865-7 by T. T. Bury of Oxford, with new roofs, seats (said to be copies of originals), tiled floors by Maw & Co., except in chancel where by Minton Hoskins & Co., and stained glass by Hardman in E window and Heaton, Butler & Bayne in N aisle W and SE chapel E. Repairs 1896, and again in 1935, latter by Mercer & Vaughan of Swansea.
Parish church, rubble stone with slate roofs and coped gables. W tower, nave with C19 E bellcote, C19 N aisle, N transept, lean-to S projection and large S porch; chancel with lean-to N projection and big C19 N chimney, and large parallel gable-ended SE chapel.
Tower is relatively short, with plain pointed louvred bell-lights, single each side except N where 2-light, and corbelled embattled parapet. E face of tower is corbelled out at mid-height over nave roof, N side has 3 loops, W front has 2 loops and small pointed W opening with stone voussoirs, inserted C19 plain 2-light window, S side has 2 loops.
Nave S has large S rubble stone porch with rounded pointed entry and rough stone voussoirs, possibly medieval, and small loop in gable. Single narrow recessed lancet to left of 1865-7, the inner surround ashlar and voussoirs of cut grey stone, similar pair of lancets to right Then lean-to projection with C19 cusped Y-traceried pointed ashlar 2-light with hoodmould, possibly earlier than 1865. Plain Sanctus bellcote on nave E end in grey limestone dated MDCCCLXX, with single pointed opening. Nave N has 1865-7 lean-to N aisle in squared stone with pair of lancets recessed in pointed surround on W end, and four recessed lancets on N side, in two pairs. Gabled N transept has C19 ashlar pointed 2-light like that on S projection. Lower chancel has lean-to in angle to transept with flat-headed C19 ashlar 2-light with cusped heads to lights. Attached in angle to E is tall square chimney of 1865-7 with grey stone quoins and small pierced roundel each side at top under pyramid cap. Single rectangular chancel N light with length of stone string course running W from window to chimney. E end has C19 ashlar 3-light with hoodmould, like those on transeptal windows. Coped gable has cross finial. Chancel N wall and E wall are battered at base, but no evidence of a S return, suggesting that SE chapel was built first but asymmetrical gable of SE chapel would suggest joint to chancel should be further into chancel wall
SE chapel has coped gables, straight walls and odd narrow recessed lights, the recessed parts rendered. The three E lancets are double recessed with extremely narrow glazing and thin stone voussoirs to outer surround. Centre light is broader and taller. S side is divided in two by three big rough buttresses with splayed plinths and hipped-gabled caps. Between buttresses are 2 sets of unusual long rectangular lights in double-recessed narrow reveals, supposedly replacing C13 lancets, but at unknown date. W end has gable recessed lancet offset to right which is odd if SE chapel was free-standing.
Porch has C19 with stone seats, arch-braced rafters, and pointed S door with sandstone voussoirs. Stoup to right of door. Complex interior with plastered whitewashed walls and two-colour tile floors. Tower has low plastered stone vault, W window with C19 reveal. Tower arch obscured by organ loft, flight of stone steps coming down to N of tower arch are of 1865, giving access to tower door at first floor right. Nave has 1865-7 arched-braced scissor-truss roof. Nave S windows have C19 pointed rusticated stone surrounds to reveals, and there is a concave curved splay to left, into shallow S projection (Williamston Chapel), the splay with remnant of C19 painted decoration. Corbel above. Cambered broad arch to projection. Nave N has 2-bay arcade of 1865-7 in grey limestone with unchamfered stepped pointed arches on centre round column with simple conical cap and matching corbels each end. Carved head of Bishop John Lloyd as stop to outer order, over column. Narrow N aisle of 1865-7 with rusticated stone surrounds to reveals. Plastered pointed N transept arch to right with corbel to left, answering one on S wall. Under E side of transept arch is small squint opening through to chancel. Transept has no S wall, opened to aisle in 1865-7. C19 roof. Chancel arch is also plain and pointed, with two corbels over and remains of a moulded pointed doorhead high up to right. To right, partly under arch of nave S projection is pointed arch into SE chapel.
Stone step into chancel, with C19 Gothic wrought-iron rails. High arch-braced collar-rafter roof, of curved profile. Centre Wogan tomb (see below) on two-colour tile floor. Two steps at E end. Pointed arch to vaulted shallow recess on N side with opening into squint within. N wall corbel, rectangular window and square-headed shelf recess to right. S side has 3 plastered pointed arches to earlier SE chapel and above an ovolo-moulded stone course carrying the slightly broader upper part of wall. Below E respond of arcade is a reset fine small medieval carved capital with fluted neck and stiff leaf carving, provenance unknown, said to be a piscina.
The SE, St Andrew's Chapel, has 3-bay arcade on N side, but rest seems to be C13 with deeply splayed pointed headed reveals to the 3 lights on E wall and the six on the S, those on the S very long with sills near floor. W end has partly blocked doorway to left of pointed arch to nave, and single-light in pointed reveal above. C19 arch-braced scissor rafters to roof. Four C19 corbels along N side under lateral beam. Pointed shelf recess on E wall right side.
Fittings. C12 font, square, whitewashed with scallops and darts to underside, on round shaft and square base. Copper eagle lectern on Gothic shaft, c. 1893. Late C19 W end remarkable semi-circular organ-loft, on cast-iron columns with cast-iron railings, columns with leaf capitals, railings to a scroll design, organ by Nicholson & Co. Tower screen 1960s. Simple Gothic timber pulpit on stone base 1867, with open cusped panels. Pine pews with panelled ends ornamented with linenfold of 1867, said to copy earlier pews. Pews in N aisle face S and have carved panelled doors to rear pew. S transept has a few N facing pews. Chancel arch has Gothic scrolled wrought iron rails. Two reading desks with kneelers. Open timber Gothic altar rails on W and S sides of sanctuary, probably 1867. Altar, rails and seats in SE chapel c. 1965 in limed oak.
Stained glass: Fine E window of Crucifixion with SS Mary, Mary Magdalene and John, in C14 style, 1865 by Hardman. N aisle E window 1865 by Heaton, Butler & Bayne 2-light, Christ and St Peter. N aisle window of c. 1950 SS Margaret and David; second window 2-light of Christ, Mary and Joseph, 1967 by Celtic Studios. N transept 1922 war memorial by William Morris of Westminster. SE chapel E has 3 long narrow lancets with patterned glass and St Andrew panel in centre light, 1867 by Heaton, Butler & Bayne.
Memorials: In centre of the chancel table tomb to Richard Wogan of Boulton, mentioned in his will of 1540. Bath stone chest with panels to sides, the panels either single or pairs of lancets, interspersed with shield panels. S side divided 1-2-shield-2-shield-2-1, the shields with Wogan arms and Milton rebus (windmill and barrel). W end has 1-panel-1 the panel with scroll lettered RW, coat of arms and a bull. E end has 1-panel-1, with Wogan coat-of-arms and a barrel. N side has 1-2-2-shield-2-2-1, the shield with a square with small squares outside each corner. The grey stone top has a remarkable relief 'cross raguly' i.e. of naturalistic wood with lopped side shoots, and 2 blank shields, and is apparently reused C14. Chancel S plaque to Rev D. Bird Allen (d 1831) and wife (d 1841); and alabaster scroll pedimented plaque to Sir Owen Scourfield Bt, (d 1921).
In S projection (Williamston chapel) are Scourfield memorials: Lt J A P Scourfield died at Secunderabad 1878; Lady Gertrude (d 1894); Sir John (d 1876) - Gothic memorial by Gaffin & Co.; Lady Augusta (d 1880). Chancel N recess has floor slab to John Iorden (d 1624). Chancel N neo-Grec plaque to Bowen and Philipps families down to Owen Philipps (d 1830), by the Patent Works, London. Black stone floor slab with fine carved arms to William Bowen of Williamston, (d 1686).
Listed at Grade II* as a medieval church with unusual lancets to SE chapel, outstanding C16 chancel tomb chest and some good Victorian features, notably the E window by Hardman and the organ-loft of c. 1900.
Other nearby listed buildings