This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8017 / 51°48'6"N
Longitude: -4.9696 / 4°58'10"W
OS Eastings: 195345
OS Northings: 215623
OS Grid: SM953156
Mapcode National: GBR CK.XRZ5
Mapcode Global: VH1RD.TZ36
Entry Name: Barclay's Bank
Listing Date: 1 July 1974
Last Amended: 30 November 2005
Source ID: 12120
Building Class: Commercial
Location: On the N side of the High Street some 75m E of its junction with Dark Street.
Community: Haverfordwest (Hwlffordd)
Built-Up Area: Haverfordwest
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Bank building in a terraced house with ornate later C19 stucco detail, but probably of early C19 date. There were alterations for the bank c. 1925 by Captain D. F. Ingleton of Haverfordwest. The ground floor has been altered since 1974. Old photographs show a very large balcony with curved ends, on scrolled big brackets. The bank is successor to the London & Provincial Bank, listed as being in the High Street in 1884. Marked as a bank on 1888 OS.
Bank building, painted stucco, three storeys, three-window range offset slightly to left. Five-bay parapet, divided by piers with moulded coping, over moulded band. Ornate stucco surrounds to first and second floor windows linked vertically, the first floor windows in shouldered architraves with pulvinated friezes and moulded cornices, on which stand sloping plinths for scrolled cast-iron flower balconies of upper windows which have moulded architraves with diamond-facetted keystones and lotus-flower motifs over. Second floor windows are sash windows with margin lights. First floor French windows are probably earlier C20 with metal glazing. marginal panes, arched long main panes and roundel panes above. Iron rails each with two diagonally-crossed panels between upright rails. The ground floor has plain channelled rustication with plain fascia (obscured by modern bank fascia) and moulded cornice. Openings not aligned: two tall narrow ones flanking two big square ones, with moulded architraves. the outer ones with keystones. Modern infill to left former door, modern entrance to first big square opening, plate-glass and moulded sill to second, and similar glass and sill to narrow right opening, the sills of both breaking the plinth. Large C20 stepped flat-roofed rear additions.
Ground floor wholly altered.
Included for special architectural interest as a stuccoed terraced front with good later C19 detail.
Other nearby listed buildings