History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Nos. 36 and 38 High Street

A Grade II* Listed Building in Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8018 / 51°48'6"N

Longitude: -4.9693 / 4°58'9"W

OS Eastings: 195365

OS Northings: 215628

OS Grid: SM953156

Mapcode National: GBR CL.XL1N

Mapcode Global: VH1RD.TZ84

Entry Name: Nos. 36 and 38 High Street

Listing Date: 12 October 1951

Last Amended: 30 November 2005

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 12122

Building Class: Domestic

Location: On the N side of the High Street some 60m W of its junction with Quay Street.

County: Pembrokeshire

Town: Haverfordwest

Community: Haverfordwest (Hwlffordd)

Community: Haverfordwest

Built-Up Area: Haverfordwest

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
Haverfordwest

History

Pair of mid to late C18 terraced houses, now offices, possibly originally one house with lower service range, No 38. No 36 was occupied by Keppel Llewellin Palmer in 1901 and by James Wilson, surgeon, in 1926.
Since 1974 the houses have been restored from very poor condition, with the loss of all the interior features. The modillion eaves cornice has been replaced by one to a simpler detail, the right end chimney on No 36 has been removed and the chimney on No 38 rebuilt smaller. In 1974 a marble fireplace and panelled doors were described. There was said to be a pointed barrel vaulted cellar under No 36.

Exterior

Two buildings, painted stucco with slate roofs and brick end stacks. No 34 three-storey, three bays, No 38 two storeys and two bays, the upper windows in line with the first floor windows of No 36, both with matching fine Ionic doorcases and renewed bracketed cornices. Renewed hornless 12-pane sashes, to all three floors of no 36 and upper floor of No 38, which has ground floor 4-12-4-pane tripartite sash to right of centre. No 36 has door in left bay, No 38 also, but aligned to left of window above. Both have elliptical arched doorways with radiating-bar fanlights, recessed in timber pedimented doorcases. Doorcases have Ionic half columns, entablature blocks and open pediments with modillions. Six-panel doors, the top 4 panels originally fielded and bottom two panels flush.
Rear walls rebuilt since 1974 when there was a range of rubble outbuildings behind No 36; tall slate-hung building behind No 38.
Now roughcast rear wall to 38, tripartite ground floor sash and two 12-pane sashes above. Rear of 36 has a tall rear wing to right and a new 12-pane sash each floor to left. Lower three storey wing runs E from N end of rear wing.

Interior

Interiors completely altered, ground floors joined, staircase in rear wing of No 36 wholly modern. Cellars not seen, said to be a broad segmental pointed stone vaulted cellar under No 36.

Reasons for Listing

Included for its special architectural interest as substantial late Georgian town house with pedimented doorcases.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.