This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8016 / 51°48'5"N
Longitude: -4.9692 / 4°58'9"W
OS Eastings: 195371
OS Northings: 215608
OS Grid: SM953156
Mapcode National: GBR CL.XL2T
Mapcode Global: VH1RD.TZB9
Entry Name: HSBC Bank
Listing Date: 18 January 1995
Last Amended: 30 November 2005
Source ID: 15672
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Towards the bottom of the High Street, close to the corner with Hill Lane.
Community: Haverfordwest (Hwlffordd)
Built-Up Area: Haverfordwest
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
The present building was remodelled for the Metropolitan Bank by D.E. Thomas in 1900, later taken over by the Midland Bank. This was an alteration to a pair of terraced houses, shown in one old photograph with deep-eaved roof and hipped dormers, and then at a later stage with two late C19 oriels, architreaves to all the windows and to central paired doors. An early staircase between the upper floors may survive.
Bank premises, painted stucco with parapet and brick end stacks. Three storeys, six bays. Channelled rusticated ground floor, moulded cornice under first floor sills, moulded band under second floor sills, moulded top cornice and five-bay parapet divided by panelled piers. Plate glass sash windows, close-spaced apart from fourth bay which is wider. The six upper sash windows and the two in first floor third and fourth bays have moulded architraves and cornices above on console brackets, the two on first floor also have moulded keystones. Outer bays of first floor have big square oriels with triple plate glass sashes to front, single to sides, moulded cornice, panelled base over heavily moulded tapered underside. Bases of oriels rest on top of moulded entablatures of two ground floor triple sash windows divided by pilasters. Doorway in third bay, to left of centre with short pilasters on high panelled bases, supporting exaggerated reeded console brackets carrying a steep semicircular hood. Four stone steps up to heavy linenfold panelled 9-panel door. Plain fanlight. Fourth bay has a single sash with pilasters and entablature.
The right end triple window has had the centre light cut down as a door with uPVC door and overlight.
Slate-hung left end wall.
Wholly altered banking hall; panelled reveals to windows in upper storeys. Staircase in right end bay with lower flight replaced in 1890 with cast-iron lower newel and cast-iron pierced balusters. Earlier turned baluster staircase from first floor not available for inspection 2005.
Included for its special architectural interest as a robust example of late C19 stucco Italianate design, which makes a strong contribution to the High Street.
Other nearby listed buildings