This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7976 / 51°47'51"N
Longitude: -4.9662 / 4°57'58"W
OS Eastings: 195566
OS Northings: 215157
OS Grid: SM955151
Mapcode National: GBR CL.XSZM
Mapcode Global: VH1RL.V2YS
Entry Name: Priory Court
Listing Date: 1 July 1974
Last Amended: 30 November 2005
Source ID: 12239
Building Class: Health and Welfare
Location: Situated on hilltop overlooking the Cleddau above the Priory ruins.
Community: Haverfordwest (Hwlffordd)
Built-Up Area: Haverfordwest
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
The former workhouse designed in 1837 by George Wilkinson of Oxford, architect to the Poor Law Commissioners, and similar to workhouses by him at Narberth, St Dogmaels and Aberaeron. It was erected by William Owen of Haverfordwest with Mr Lewis as builder, cost £4,500 and was designed for 250 persons. Plans for alterations in 1869, for sick wards 1877, mortuary 1880, imbeciles wards 1882 by D.E. Thomas, childrens wards 1896 by D.E. Thomas, vagrant wards 1898 by D.E. Thomas and additions 1908 by D.E. Thomas. Later used as St Thomas' Hospital, before being converted to flats.
Former workhouse, now flats. Squared rubble stone with flat-eaved slate roofs and brick chimneys. Front range and cruciform rear ranges partly enclosing four square courtyards. Two storeys. NE front range of nine bays, the three centre bays projecting slightly with three joined coped gables. Each gable has a blind cross loop and gables have shoulders at outer edges. Two parallel raised bands between floors, raised plinth. Large 16-pane sash windows with stone sills and stone voussoirs to upper floor and small-paned cross-windows below, also with stone voussoirs and stone sills. Centre three bays have centre window flanked by two segmental pointed chamfered doorways, the left one ??now window.
Behind is a cruciform plan of plain rubble stone buildings of two storeys with slate roofs, with some original cross-windows to ground floor, and some two-light small-paned casement pairs above, otherwise renewed 12-pane and 16-pane sashes. Stone voussoirs and stone sills, cemented reveals. The four ranges enclose four paved courts with in addition a long range across the rear. A short two-storey, four-bay range at the S end of the S wing has the double raised band and raised plinth of the front range. Renewed glazing with 12-pane sashes above and long 24-pane sashes below.
Interior not inspected.
Included for its special architectural interest as as a largely intact workhouse complex of the earlier C19.
Other nearby listed buildings