This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.017 / 52°1'1"N
Longitude: -4.8314 / 4°49'52"W
OS Eastings: 205809
OS Northings: 239177
OS Grid: SN058391
Mapcode National: GBR CR.H486
Mapcode Global: VH2MZ.6KQN
Entry Name: Ebenezer Congregational Chapel (Capel Ebenezer)
Listing Date: 14 April 1992
Last Amended: 14 April 1992
Source ID: 12497
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated set back some 50m N of junction with East Street.
Community: Newport (Trefdraeth)
Built-Up Area: Newport
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Built 1844-5 at cost of ú794, replacing chapel founded 1740 as a branch of the chapel in Brynberian. The builder is said to have been James Salmon of Newport (d1871).
Simplified Classical style in brown rubble with slate roof. Tall, broad gable front with open pedimental eaves on paired timber brackets. Main wallface has plinth, three recessed giant arches with stone voussoirs and plain triangular recess in pediment. Three first-floor small-paned arched sashes with radiating glazing-bar heads and two longer similar sashes below. Stone voussoirs and slate sills. Centre double doors under large fanlight with radiating bars to arched head. Slate steps up. Granite plaque over: 'Ebeneser Adeiladwyd 1845'. Chapel forecourt is enclosed by low rubble retaining wall with iron rails and gates. Square gatepiers and angle piers. Slate steps up from street and slate path to chapel front steps.
Two-storey side elevation with small-paned sash windows, two above, two larger below, slightly cambered stone heads and slate sills. Plain boarded eaves. Plain W end wall with two very big small-paned arched windows, the arched heads boarded over. Small loft door in gable.
Painted grained woodwork throughout, box pews, three-sided panel fronted gallery on timber columns. Plain pulpit. Large W end organ, added later. Corniced coved ceiling with plaster lozenges in angles.
An exceptionally fine chapel, unaltered.
Other nearby listed buildings