This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0254 / 52°1'31"N
Longitude: -4.7951 / 4°47'42"W
OS Eastings: 208334
OS Northings: 240017
OS Grid: SN083400
Mapcode National: GBR CT.GF8N
Mapcode Global: VH2MZ.TCW6
Entry Name: Churchyard of Church of St Brynarch, including Wall & Gates
Listing Date: 16 January 1952
Last Amended: 27 October 1992
Source ID: 12747
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Parish churchyard around Church of St Brynach, steeply sloping to N of church and surrounded by rubble stone walls or embankments, and with principal gateway to S, smaller gates to NW and E.
Community: Nevern (Nanhyfer)
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
South gates have blue lias ashlar piers with cornices and balls and cast iron gate dated 1823. Iron overthrow. East end gate possibly not on original site as wider than present opening, similar to S gate, cast-iron. NW gateway has stone arch with voussoirs and keystone and iron gate with quatrefoil bottom and mid rails.
Within churchyard is fine avenue of yews leading to S porch and most notably the C10 to C11 Great Cross (Scheduled Ancient Monument Pe 164), one of the finest in Wales, and the Vitalianus Stone (Scheduled Ancient Monument Pe 151) possibly C5 with 'Vitaliani' in Latin and Ogham.
Numerous slate headstones and some table tombs of late C18 and C19 and the family vault of the Bowens of Llwyngwair, a rubble faced embankment with ashlar corner piers and slate plaques, the enclosure in front with low wall and ashlar piers. Inscriptions to Bowen family members and Griffiths family. At end cross of 1908 to "Tegid", Reverend John-Jones, vicar 1842-52, poet and scholar.
Group value with Parish Church and Scheduled Ancient Monuments Pe 151 and 164.
Other nearby listed buildings