This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0314 / 52°1'53"N
Longitude: -4.7688 / 4°46'7"W
OS Eastings: 210163
OS Northings: 240620
OS Grid: SN101406
Mapcode National: GBR CV.G1T4
Mapcode Global: VH2N0.969K
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 16 January 1952
Last Amended: 27 October 1992
Source ID: 12756
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in isolated site some 2km E of Nevern, approached by lane running N and then W off Nevern-Glanrhyd road.
Community: Nevern (Nanhyfer)
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Early C19 Anglican parish church in rubble stone, possibly incorporating earlier masonry, with slate roof and blue lias stone W bellcote. Single chamber with one N side 12-pane sash window, two to S and one to E end, all with Gothic tracery to upper panes and cambered heads to upper sashes, slate sills and blue lias cut stone cambered voussoirs. W end has flattened arched doorway into inset porch with similar inner doorway and plank door. Bellcote of rusticated blue lias ashlar, two openings with elliptical arched heads and concave curved gable above. [A very similar bellcote was at Eglwyswrw before the 1883 rebuilding].
At E end mid C19 Bath stone armorial plaque in fireplace-like surround, beneath c1850 memorial to T. Lloyd of Cwmgloyne.
Remarkable, little altered, early C19 church interior with plastered walls, slate floors, box pews, three-decker pulpit and simple timber chancel rails and altar table. 3-sided boarded roof of 1905. At W end, walling is advanced to line of inner porch with flat (apparently non-functional) top, and W door is flanked by matching arched recesses.
Grade II* as a scarce rural example of an unaltered anglican church of its date.
Other nearby listed buildings