This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0256 / 52°1'31"N
Longitude: -4.7602 / 4°45'36"W
OS Eastings: 210728
OS Northings: 239945
OS Grid: SN107399
Mapcode National: GBR CV.GHYF
Mapcode Global: VH2N0.FCV1
Plus Code: 9C4Q26GQ+6W
Entry Name: Cwm Gloyne
Listing Date: 27 October 1992
Last Amended: 27 October 1992
Source ID: 12769
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated down drive running N off lane from Felindre Farchog to Post Goch, some 1.1 km NE of Felindre Farchog.
Community: Nevern (Nanhyfer)
Locality: Felindre Farchog
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Cwmgloyne was until mid C20 built to a courtyard plan, but the third range has been demolished. It was a gentry house of the Lloyd family (also of Hendre, St Dogmaels) from the C16 when Owen Lloyd acquired it by marriage. His son John (1544-1637) lived at Hendre, but after 1637 Cwmgloyne became the principal residence. Evan Lloyd (d 1646), had been resident at Cwmgloyne from c1600. Thomas Lloyd (1732-88) was a noted agricultural improver and promoter of Welsh literature. From 1788 it passed successively to Morris Williams of Trellyffaint (d 1840), Owen Owen (d 1849) and M.L.W.Owen (d 1908), but was tenanted from circa 1841 and sold 1909. The author R.M.Lockley farmed Cwm Gloyne in C20.
C17 altered gentry house, two storeys, rubble stone and roughcast with slate and grouted slate roofs. L-plan, the main range with C20 red brick E end and ridge stacks; the wing running N has large rendered ridge stack between service range and N end outbuilding with has continuous roof, hipped at N end. Domestic part is roughcast and painted, N end is rubble stone. Main range has 3-window range to left of door, one-window range to right, renewed sashes, 9-pane above, 8-pane below, with slate sills and raised stucco surrounds. Door is C20 half-glazed. Wing has door and 9-pane window below and 2x9-pane windows above.
Rear of main range is much altered with big concrete extension on piers to ground floor right, C20 first floor windows above; then original stair gable with C19 brick-headed sashes, narrow bay of original rear wall with C19 sashes; then big C19 2 storey lean-to. W end wall has mostly C19 windows and wing has 2-storey 3-bay elevation to domestic part, three ground floor doors to outbuilding with loading door above. N end outside stairs to loft door.
Stair gable has dog-leg stair with thick moulded rail (not inspected at time of survey) but is said to be otherwise modernised inside. N end outbuilding has loft floor with heavy beams and tie-beam trusses above.
Other nearby listed buildings