This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0178 / 52°1'3"N
Longitude: -4.7682 / 4°46'5"W
OS Eastings: 210146
OS Northings: 239099
OS Grid: SN101390
Mapcode National: GBR CV.H1XR
Mapcode Global: VH2N0.9KL1
Plus Code: 9C4Q269J+4P
Entry Name: College
Listing Date: 22 December 1989
Last Amended: 27 October 1992
Source ID: 12763
Building Class: Education
Location: Situated on eastern side of junction of A 487 and lane to Moylegrove at eastern edge of village.
Community: Nevern (Nanhyfer)
Locality: Felindre Farchog
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
1852, possibly by R.K.Penson incorporating fragments of 1624 building; the former court-room of barony of Cemaes was, built for Sir T. Lloyd, Lord Marcher of Cemaes, and used to c1976. C17 building was a schoolroom built for George Owen of Henllys.
Coursed slate rubble with ashlar quoins and steep-pitched slate roofs, Tudor style. T-plan with ashlar entrance tower in angle, the W cross-wing being a high single-storey court-room, the S facing range being domestic, of one and a half storeys. W and S roof-pitches have decorative banding and lozenges in cut slates, and the gables have moulded slate corbels and ridged slate coping. Two-large ashlar stacks on S-facing range, one on ridge behind court-room, one on E end.
Courtroom has ashlar plinth and on W side two re-used C17 3-light mullion and transom windows with recessed chamfered mouldings, but apparently reset upside down. C19 window heads and hoodmoulds. Above, two large coped and shouldered gables with narrow ashlar loops. Plain N end wall. S end has C19 timber mullion and transom window with cambered stone head and hoodmould. Blank plaque above. Straight joint and no quoins at SE angle, against entry tower. Tower has similar plinth, chamfered Tudor-arched doorway with plank door and Tudor-arched hoodmould. Diagonal two-step buttress at SE angle and flat parapet with angled coping. Above door are three plaques, '1626' and '1852' and 'Llys-du Arglwydd Cemmaes'. E face has small lower light and incised cross above.
Domestic wing has one timber cross-window and eaves-breaking 4-pane sash in stone gable, both windows ashlar-framed with slate sills. E end plank door in timber porch. Rear C20 small addition to left and one-window range to right, breaking eaves.
All C19, the courtroom with high scissor-rafter roof and E wall fireplace with sloping corbelled stone hood. Domestic wing has large E end fireplace with ashlar S pier. 2 rooms each floor and single flight stair on rear wall.
Other nearby listed buildings