History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Penuel Cemaes Baptist Chapel,Glanrhyd Road, B4582 (S.Side) Rhydymaen

A Grade II Listed Building in Nevern, Pembrokeshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0367 / 52°2'12"N

Longitude: -4.7489 / 4°44'56"W

OS Eastings: 211549

OS Northings: 241152

OS Grid: SN115411

Mapcode National: GBR CW.FSV7

Mapcode Global: VH2N0.M2TJ

Plus Code: 9C4Q27P2+MC

Entry Name: Penuel Cemaes Baptist Chapel,Glanrhyd Road, B4582 (S.Side) Rhydymaen

Listing Date: 27 October 1992

Last Amended: 27 October 1992

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 12805

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Situated on Glanrhyd to Nevern road some 3km W of Glanrhyd and 3km E of Nevern.

County: Pembrokeshire

Community: Nevern (Nanhyfer)

Community: Nevern

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
Eglwyswrw

Exterior

1860 Baptist Chapel in rubble stone with slate roof and bracketted eaves. End facade with open pedimental gable, bracketted and with slate course across. Two long arched windows, centre arched doorway and dateplaque roundel above. Arches and roundel with voussoirs in contrasting colour stone. Windows are margin-glazed sashes, door has radiating bar fanlight and double panelled doors, and facade below gable is banded in blue lias.

Rendered side walls with single 16-pane sash each floor. Two long windows in end wall.

Interior

Attractive interior with walls lined as ashlar (as at Bethel, Moylgrove); three-sided gallery on 3 x 3 thin iron columns, simple pine panelled front and box pews. Balustraded pulput with steps up each side. Renewed plaster ceiling.

Reasons for Listing

Similar in style to Glanrhyd Chapel 1870 and Cana, Felindre Farchog, 1857.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Pantgwyn Mawr
    Situated in sand quarry some 500 m N of minor road running NW off B 4582 from junction 1.5 k W of Glanrhyd. Quarry entry is some 400m from junction.
  • II Cwm Gloyne
    Situated down drive running N off lane from Felindre Farchog to Post Goch, some 1.1 km NE of Felindre Farchog.
  • II* Church of St Andrew
    Situated in isolated site some 2km E of Nevern, approached by lane running N and then W off Nevern-Glanrhyd road.
  • II Berllan
    Situated some 2.5 km NW of Eglwyswrw off minor road leading N from village, then W towards Pengelli.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.