This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7128 / 51°42'45"N
Longitude: -5.0403 / 5°2'24"W
OS Eastings: 190063
OS Northings: 205935
OS Grid: SM900059
Mapcode National: GBR G5.XBF6
Mapcode Global: VH1RY.L68T
Plus Code: 9C3PPX75+4V
Entry Name: The Customs House
Listing Date: 20 August 1975
Last Amended: 22 February 1993
Source ID: 12827
Building Class: Civil
Location: Situated prominently to S of Victoria Road.
Community: Milford Haven (Aberdaugleddau)
Community: Milford Haven
Locality: The Docks
Built-Up Area: Milford Haven
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
One of the first buildings of the new town of Milford, possibly designed by William Jernegan of Swansea whom Greville consulted in 1793. Until the late C19 it was paired with a similar 3-storey warehouse to left. The earliest view of the Custom House is by J Warwick Smith (drawing in National Library of Wales dated about 1812) which shows the wings then.
Circa l794 Customs House, now Milford Haven Museum. Red rubble stone, originally stuccoed or roughcast, with asbestos sheet roofing. Three-storey three-window centrepiece with pedimental gable, said to have been the original building, and two-storey six-window wings, which may be original or were added before l812. Centre has lunette in gable but has lost all trace of mouldings to pediment, the first and second floors openings are vertically linked in sunk panels and ground floor has arched openings. Rough stone voussoirs, C20 casement windows, and doors to ground and first floor centre.
Wings have hipped end gables, similar casement windows, but those on first floor left have had the lintels raised. Ground floor openings have blank arched heads over casement windows or doors, WDW WDW to left wing, WWW WD and blank opening to right, the second window with fanlight and the door damaging original arch-head. First floor has loading door in fourth bay and blank window in sixth. E end C20 brick lean-to. Large C20 flat-roofed rear addition.
Arcaded axial spine walls to ground floor and arched recesses on rear wall. Big transverse arch across first floor of E wing and arches between centre and wings.
Group value with The Sewin Restaurant building and No 1 Victoria Road.
Other nearby listed buildings