This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9794 / 51°58'45"N
Longitude: -5.058 / 5°3'28"W
OS Eastings: 190085
OS Northings: 235627
OS Grid: SM900356
Mapcode National: GBR CG.KG2N
Mapcode Global: VH1QL.8HXZ
Plus Code: 9C3PXWHR+PR
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 14 July 1993
Last Amended: 14 July 1993
Source ID: 12990
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in centre of village.
Community: Pencaer (Pen-caer)
Locality: St Nicholas/Tremarchog
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Parish church of medieval origins, much restored 1865 by R.K.Penson.
Rubble stone with slate roofs, nave, chancel, N porch and S transept. W wall is largely medieval with massive buttress under bellcote, stepped out twice in plan, rising straight to remains of slate string-course and then battered back to base of bell-gable which is of 1865, replacing a double bellcote. C19 coping to gables, C19 N porch and stone Y-tracery to windows. One 2-light window to each side of nave. Buttress to nave NE angle. S transept is medieval, C19 S window. Squint in angle to chancel which has C19 E window of 2 lights with quatrefoil head. C19 door in N porch.
5-bay C19 arch-braced collar truss roof. Plastered walls and low plastered chancel arch. Higher arch to S transept which has plastered pointed barrel vault and broad squint through to chancel. Chancel has broad 3-bay C19 roof, curved scissor trusses. Plain pine pews and pulpit. On E side of chancel arch three inscribed stones, on S side C7 to C9 memorial stone said to be inscribed: 'TUNCCETACE UXOR DARII HIC IACES' (surface is stained and eroded with damp). On N side two stones of C6 to C7 date inscribed (possibly): 'PAANUS' and 'MELUS'. Medieval font, plain square bowl with chamfered underside, circular base with roll mouldings to top and base. No monuments or stained glass.
Other nearby listed buildings