This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9699 / 51°58'11"N
Longitude: -5.0736 / 5°4'25"W
OS Eastings: 188966
OS Northings: 234617
OS Grid: SM889346
Mapcode National: GBR CF.L45V
Mapcode Global: VH1QL.0RM8
Plus Code: 9C3PXW9G+WG
Entry Name: Tregwynt
Listing Date: 1 March 1963
Last Amended: 14 July 1993
Source ID: 12996
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated some 0.8 km NW of Granston, down short drive.
Community: Pencaer (Pen-caer)
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Estate was owned by the Harries family from medieval times to 1830, then sold; owned by Richard Llewelyn 1841 (Tithe Map), bought back by Harries family 1877, and sold again. Ballroom is where Capt. T Knox was dancing when the news of the French invasion of 22 Feb 1797 was received.
Early to mid C18 gentry house extended to rear and at N end in later C18. Colourwashed roughcast with slate roofs, two storeys, L-plan. Earlier C18 6-window front with narrow 8-pane sashes, end stacks and door in third bay. 5-panel door, top panel glazed, in hipped porch with elliptical arch and double doors. Shorter 5-window rear range, hipped to SW, late C18 or early C19, but possibly incorporating part of an earlier stair tower. 12-pane sashes and off-centre arched stair light, with small-pane glazing. S end is added hipped one-window range with door below and 12-pane sash above.
North Wing: N end later 5-window C18 wing with service rooms below a single large ballroom. Hipped roof, end-wall stacks, very long upper 15-pane sashes and short 12-pane sashes below. Door in second bay.
Farm Wing: Attached to W end is single-storey farm wing, rendered with ridge stack and C20 windows and W end outbuilding with half-hipped gable.
Original range has oak collar-beam trusses to roof, rear range has 6-bay pine roof with close-spaced collar trusses. Earlier range has two low-ceilinged rooms to ground floor, 2-window to left with C19 marble fireplace, 3-window to right with two elliptical-arched recesses on rear wall and C19 slate fireplace with c1880 T Jeckyll grate. Panelled shutters to both rooms, 6-panel doors. Early to mid C18 hall arch, fluted with keystone, originally to stair behind but the stair is now one bay to right. A similar arch remains in the corridor of the floor above. Present stair-hall to right has late C18 or early C19 detail to arched window. Dog-leg stair with close-spaced stick balusters and thick ramped rail (possibly early C18 reused). To N is former kitchen, and opposite concealed in wall is narrow stair to attic.
Ballroom wing has reinforced tie-beams to support floor above. Large and plain ballroom with panelled shutters, fireplace at right end only, though originally at both ends.
Graded II* on account of internal features and historic importance for the area.
Other nearby listed buildings