History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

North Wing & Low Farm Range to W.of Tregwynt

A Grade II* Listed Building in Pencaer (Pen-caer), Pembrokeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.97 / 51°58'11"N

Longitude: -5.0741 / 5°4'26"W

OS Eastings: 188937

OS Northings: 234631

OS Grid: SM889346

Mapcode National: GBR CF.L42J

Mapcode Global: VH1QL.0RD5

Entry Name: North Wing & Low Farm Range to W.of Tregwynt

Listing Date: 1 March 1963

Last Amended: 14 July 1993

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 12997

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated some 0.8 km NW of Granston, down short drive.

County: Pembrokeshire

Town: Granston/Treopert

Community: Pencaer (Pen-caer)

Community: Pencaer

Locality: Tregwynt

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
Mathry

History

Estate was owned by the Harries family from medieval times to 1830, then sold; owned by Richard Llewelyn 1841 (Tithe Map), bought back by Harries family 1877, and sold again. Ballroom is where Capt. T Knox was dancing when the news of the French invasion of 22 Feb 1797 was received.

Exterior

Early to mid C18 gentry house extended to rear and at N end in later C18. Colourwashed roughcast with slate roofs, two storeys, L-plan. Earlier C18 6-window front with narrow 8-pane sashes, end stacks and door in third bay. 5-panel door, top panel glazed, in hipped porch with elliptical arch and double doors. Shorter 5-window rear range, hipped to SW, late C18 or early C19, but possibly incorporating part of an earlier stair tower. 12-pane sashes and off-centre arched stair light, with small-pane glazing. S end is added hipped one-window range with door below and 12-pane sash above.

North Wing: N end later 5-window C18 wing with service rooms below a single large ballroom. Hipped roof, end-wall stacks, very long upper 15-pane sashes and short 12-pane sashes below. Door in second bay.

Farm Wing: Attached to W end is single-storey farm wing, rendered with ridge stack and C20 windows and W end outbuilding with half-hipped gable.

Interior

Original range has oak collar-beam trusses to roof, rear range has 6-bay pine roof with close-spaced collar trusses. Earlier range has two low-ceilinged rooms to ground floor, 2-window to left with C19 marble fireplace, 3-window to right with two elliptical-arched recesses on rear wall and C19 slate fireplace with c1880 T Jeckyll grate. Panelled shutters to both rooms, 6-panel doors. Early to mid C18 hall arch, fluted with keystone, originally to stair behind but the stair is now one bay to right. A similar arch remains in the corridor of the floor above. Present stair-hall to right has late C18 or early C19 detail to arched window. Dog-leg stair with close-spaced stick balusters and thick ramped rail (possibly early C18 reused). To N is former kitchen, and opposite concealed in wall is narrow stair to attic.

Ballroom wing has reinforced tie-beams to support floor above. Large and plain ballroom with panelled shutters, fireplace at right end only, though originally at both ends.

Reasons for Listing

Graded II* on account of internal features and historic importance for the area.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.