This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0179 / 52°1'4"N
Longitude: -5.037 / 5°2'13"W
OS Eastings: 191705
OS Northings: 239856
OS Grid: SM917398
Mapcode National: GBR CH.H17V
Mapcode Global: VH1QD.NJ0X
Plus Code: 9C4P2X97+55
Entry Name: Trehowel
Listing Date: 1 March 1963
Last Amended: 14 July 1993
Source ID: 12999
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on N side of lane to Strumble Head, some 1.5 km W of Llanwnda.
Community: Pencaer (Pen-caer)
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
House has the best surviving painted slate-hung facade in the area and is historically notable as being the headquarters of General Tate's forces on 22 to 23 February 1797, during the French invasion - the last foreign incursion on the British mainland. The house then belonged to John Mortimer. It is marked as L-plan on the 1798 commemorative map. On 1845 Tithe Map recorded as owned by Phoebe Williams, occupied by David Mortimer.
C18 and later farmhouse, rubble stone, part slate-hung and all colourwashed, with grouted slate roofs. Two-storey irregular plan, L-plan to main part plus SW wing. Main part has S-facing late C18 front range with stone E end stack, colourwashed slate-hung front with nogged brick eaves, and 2-window range, sash window with marginal glazing bars each floor to right; door to left in hipped-roofed angle porch and small 8-pane sash above. Rear is not outshut and has 12-pane sash to ground floor left and another to first floor right.
S Range: Range running S has two big stone stacks, one to ridge and larger one to S end, and further smaller stone stack on N end gable, in line with rear of front range. S end wall mounting block. E front has 4-window ground floor, 12-pane sash to right with dripstone, small 8-pane sash over, then three C20 metal-framed windows to left with one window above, low and under eaves. Low upper floor and outshut rear suggests that this part is older than S facing range.
W Side: Outshut at N end, projecting wing to centre, two-storey with W end stack, slate roof and two N facing C20 ground floor windows, upper floor window in W gable end and S side added lean-to in painted brick. The wing is not marked on 1845 Tithe Map. Beyond is further 2-window W front with two 12-pane sashes below and C20 metal window above.
Interior not inspected.
Other nearby listed buildings