This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0157 / 52°0'56"N
Longitude: -5.0428 / 5°2'33"W
OS Eastings: 191300
OS Northings: 239628
OS Grid: SM913396
Mapcode National: GBR CG.H5V5
Mapcode Global: VH1QD.JLYL
Plus Code: 9C4P2X84+7V
Entry Name: Trenewydd
Listing Date: 14 July 1993
Last Amended: 14 July 1993
Source ID: 13002
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on S side of road from Pontiago to Strumble Head, some 500m W of Trehowel.
Community: Pencaer (Pen-caer)
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
House is recorded from C16, marked to different plan on 1798 map, to roughly present form on 1845 map. Shortly before 1830 acquired by James family (also of Pantsaeson, Monington) who may have remodelled it. Thick walls to rear parts suggest older work is incorporated. John James owned it in 1845 (Tithe Map).
Earlier C19 house on earlier core, rubble stone with slate roofs and stone end stacks. Two-storey three-window main range with renewed 12-pane sashes, painted brick heads and painted slate sills. Centre window has sill raised and small hornless 4-8-4 pane tripartite sash inserted; glazed doors below with overlight in added gabled porch with front Gothic traceried window and painted brick head. Outshut rear, two later rear wings and hipped centre stair tower, with pointed traceried stair light.
Service range to W is lower with big W end stack, two large pairs of sashes above, ground floor Gothic window and centre glazed door. Lean-to on W end, and to rear.
Attached at NW is later C19 two-storey outbuilding with lean-to coach-house in angle. Lean-to has N end arched entry and half-hipped gable, main part has (blocked) similar centre entry and small sash over. N end wall has first floor small sash with blank arch over, and stone end stack. S end outside stone stairs. W side C20 windows.
Walled garden attached to NE, rubble stone walls.
Attractive plasterwork to entrance hall and stair foot, hall has inset acanthus leaves to flat brackets, elliptical arch (panelled with two pairs of brackets supporting each side) and small rectangular moulded ceiling beyond at foot of stair. NE room has moulded ceiling border, Regency with long panels and rosettes to centres. 6-panel doors. Service range has large timber-lintel fireplace. In lean-to behind is ancient oak table-top on stone piers set on cobbled floor, table said to be C16. NW rear wing was former dairy. Stair has thin ramped rail, stick balusters and thin turned newel. Stair ceiling has thin moulded cornice, shallow canted sides to rectangular centre panel with cruciform and foliated centre plaster motif. Elliptical arch to stair head. 6-panel doors to upper rooms with Regency surrounds. NW and centre rooms have moulded ceiling surrounds with rosettes in corners; NE room has more elaborate oak-trail surround and small acanthus cornice. Narrow fireplaces and iron grates.
Other nearby listed buildings