History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Memorial Clock Tower

A Grade II Listed Building in Marloes and St. Brides (Marloes a Sain Ffrêd), Pembrokeshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7311 / 51°43'51"N

Longitude: -5.1969 / 5°11'48"W

OS Eastings: 179336

OS Northings: 208436

OS Grid: SM793084

Mapcode National: GBR G2.H53Q

Mapcode Global: VH0V6.VRZ9

Plus Code: 9C3PPRJ3+C6

Entry Name: Memorial Clock Tower

Listing Date: 4 July 1979

Last Amended: 23 February 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 13019

Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces

Location: Situated in the centre of the village of Marloes, to the N of the main street and some 250m NW of the Church of Saint Peter.

County: Pembrokeshire

Town: Haverfordwest

Community: Marloes and St. Brides (Marloes a Sain Ffrêd)

Community: Marloes and St. Brides

Locality: Marloes

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
Marloes

History

Memorial clock-tower built in 1904 to the memory of the 4th Baron Kensington by the Pembrokeshire Liberal Association. Said to have been erected under the supervision of Lord Kensington's agent John Fergusson. An attractive design influenced by the Arts and Crafts movement. The clock was made by J.W. Benson of London.

Exterior

Clock tower, rubble stone battered square tower some 20' (6 metres) high with S doorway and small side windows at mid height. Doorway has slab lintel carried on rounded corbels. Timber low clock-stage with clock-face each side flanked by louvred square panels under overhanging bellcast pyramid slate roof with lead finial. Plaque over door records that the tower was built in memory of William 4th Baron Kensington, died October 1896, by members of the Pembrokeshire Liberal Association.

Reasons for Listing

An unusual Arts-and-Crafts-influenced design, the focal point of Marloes village.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Marloes Village Hall
    Situated near the centre of the village of Marloes, S of the main street and some 200m NW of the Church of Saint Peter.
  • II* Church of Saint Peter
    Situated at the SE end of the village of Marloes, above and to the S of the main street.
  • II Winterton
    Situated some 300m N of the Marloes to Mullock road, approximately 750m NE of the centre of Marloes.
  • II Musselwick
    Situated at the end of a long track some 1km N of the centre of Marloes and some 650m NE of the coast at Musselwick Sands.
  • II Philbeach, S end section with round chimney
    Situated just S of the road from Marloes to Dale, approximately 1km SE of the Church of Saint Peter in Marloes.
  • II Hut Group at Former Dale Airfield
    Best approached on lane by Philbeach Farm The block is close to the E end of the main group of surviving domestic buildings on the site.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.