This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0182 / 52°1'5"N
Longitude: -4.5904 / 4°35'25"W
OS Eastings: 222344
OS Northings: 238702
OS Grid: SN223387
Mapcode National: GBR D2.H415
Mapcode Global: VH2N3.DJ2P
Entry Name: Cilwendeg
Listing Date: 23 January 1976
Last Amended: 25 January 1995
Source ID: 13020
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated in park, some 1 km E of Boncath, with long drive off B 4332.
Locality: Capel Colman
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Country house built by Morgan Jones 1 (1740-1826) in the 1780s, remodelled for Morgan Jones 2 (1780-1840) in the 1830s. After death of Jane M. Jones 1864 house was tenanted until sold in 1884 to Mrs F. Saunders-Davies of Pentre and extensively remodelled, 1884-5, by George Morgan of Carmarthen. The house was subsequently rented, a 1906 sale catalogue exists but the house was not sold until 1936. Sold to Pembs. County Council 1952 for an old peoples home, restored 1991 by Dyfed County Council.
Late Cl8 country house probably altered in the 1830s, extensively altered 1884-5 by George Morgan and restored 1991. Unpainted stucco with slate hipped valley roofs and short C20 end stacks. South front: Three-storey, five-window centre, 1-3-1-bays, pedimented with wood modillion eaves cornice, two-storey, two-window plain wings with parapets and full-length Bath stone ground floor projection of 1884-5. On each end are large matching conservatories, also of 1884-5. A pre 1884 photgraph shows a scrolled armorial plaque in the pediment, small-paned windows, and a stucco 5-bay projection of the 1830s with iron balustrade over, sashes and inset Ionic porch. Flanking Ionic colonnades in front of arched windows, and beyond small-paned conservatories with gabled, columned centres. 1884-5 stucco quoin pilasters, enlarged attic windows, first floor window surrounds with alternating stucco pediments, flat cornices on the wings, plate glass glazing and new ground floor projection. This has plate glass windows between paired pilasters, dentil cornice and parapet with balustraded panels, carved plaque centre. Three-bay verandahs each side with four Roman Doric columns, and outer piers, balustrade and corniced French windows within. The two conservatories are long, 7-bay with hipped-ended clerestories and iron cresting. North front: three-storey, three-bay with 1884-5 detail, plate glass sashes, plain architraves to attic, pedimented on consoles to first floor and tripartite with centre pediments to ground floor. Centre broad double doors with large overlight in very large ashlar porte-cochere. This has modillion cornice, balustrade with big festooned armorial centrepiece. Paired angle pilasters, rusticated on lower halves, frame broad moulded arch with keystone, spandrel roundels and jamb pilasters. Sides have smaller arches. Wings are plain, parapet to E wing, removed on W wing. Two upper windows with flat cornices and architraves, cornices lost on W, and one tripartite corniced ground floor window. E end former billiard-room, probably 1884-5.
Full-width entrance hall with two pink 1880s marble fireplaces, short Ionic pilasters on raised bases possibly of 1830s. Narrow dog-leg ashlar cantilevered stair with wrought iron rail, possibly of 1830s, and some plaster cornices with detail possibly of the 1830s.
Other nearby listed buildings