This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0189 / 52°1'8"N
Longitude: -4.5924 / 4°35'32"W
OS Eastings: 222209
OS Northings: 238784
OS Grid: SN222387
Mapcode National: GBR D2.GX4Z
Mapcode Global: VH2N3.CJ04
Plus Code: 9C4Q2C95+H2
Entry Name: Barn & Stable Range at Cilwendeg Farm
Listing Date: 30 January 1980
Last Amended: 25 January 1995
Source ID: 15395
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated parallel to and NW of the first range of farmbuildings at Cilwendeg Farm, S of the Pigeon House.
Locality: Capel Colman
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Probably part of the extensive improvements at Cilwendeg carried out by Morgan Jones 2 in 1830s, but the barn possibly late C18 to early C19, for Morgan Jones 1, the upper range later. Marked on 1846 Tithe Map.
Earlier Cl9 two attached ranges, a large barn to NE and a lofted stable range, later than the barn, to SW. Rubble stone with slate roofs, the barn with graded slates. Barn has two high-door cart-entries with elliptical arches, and Cilgerran stone voussoirs. Double ledged doors, the lower parts separately opening. Loop each side. Two similar rear doorways, and low elliptical arch in S end wall flanked by doorways, now internal. Rear of barn had added five-sided C19 horse engine house with hipped slate roof in 1980, but this has been reduced to only part of the outside walls, with C20 roof. Barn interior is in two parts, 7-bay and 4-bay, with stone dividing wall, trusses with two collars, the upper collar pegged, the lower stapled.
Stable range is taller with symmetrical front of 3-plus-3 bays, two storeys, the openings of even width with Cilgerran stone voussoirs to cambered arches. Six large square boarded upper windows, over ground floor two stables each with centre door and similar proportioned window each side, the windows 8-paned in upper halves, boarded below. Left stable door retains traceried overlight. S end wall is rebuilt in concrete block. Rear is outshut in part with outside steps to right, door, window, window and door with stone voussoirs. Interior altered to single cowhouse, loft removed. No sign of interior walls. 10-bay roof of stapled two-collar trusses.
Barn and engine house were listed in 1980, but not stable. Barn is similar to others on large estate farms, cf Llanaeron, Gilfachwen and Waunifor all in Cards., and of c1795-1820. Group value with other listed items at Cilwendeg Farm.
Other nearby listed buildings