This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0189 / 52°1'8"N
Longitude: -4.591 / 4°35'27"W
OS Eastings: 222304
OS Northings: 238777
OS Grid: SN223387
Mapcode National: GBR D2.GXJL
Mapcode Global: VH2N3.CJR5
Plus Code: 9C4Q2C95+HH
Entry Name: The Stable & Coach House at Cilwendeg Farm
Listing Date: 23 January 1976
Last Amended: 25 January 1995
Source ID: 15393
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated to NE of farmhouse and N of mansion.
Locality: Capel Colman
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Probably built in 1830s for Morgan Jones 2, d1840, but possibly for Morgan Jones 1, d 1826, as there is evidence of two phases. Marked on 1846 Tithe Map. The N wing and pavilion were converted to motor-houses in the 1920s, the ridge lantern was removed after 1950.
Probably c 1830, stable and coach-house range, unusually formal composition of seven-bay, two-storey centre, originally stables and accommodation, two-bay coach-house wings and pedimented single-bay lofted end stables. Whitewashed rubble stone, originally roughcast or stuccoed, slate or grouted slate roofs, hipped with deep eaves to centre, parapets to wings and gabled to pavilions. There was a square louvred lantern with ogee lead cap. West front has slightly projected pedimented centre between two big 5-window curved bows with curved grouted roofs. Centre has elliptical-arched throughway with stone voussoirs, blocked first floor loading door and blocked square window in pediment. Short stone string-course each side, then curved bows, that may have been added as their string-course, now chiselled-off, was in brick as are window heads. Five square upper windows, all blank except centre 6-pane sash, slate sills. Ground floor arched openings, three windows, outer doors. Two blank windows, centre radiating-bar sash, blocked outer doors, ledged doors with blank tympana each side of throughway. In throughway, two doors each side, blocked as windows. Coach-house wings had two elliptical arched entries with string-course and parapet. Right wing survives, with stone voussoirs and ledged doors, left wing was built out in 1920s with slate pent roof and 7-bay folding doors. Steel beam within. End pavilions had similar timber pediments, square first floor boarded loft doors and ground floor two arched openings, outer sash window, inner door. Right pavilion is more intact but pediment is cut-back and door has been altered, left pavilion has pediment and loft window intact but ground floor 1920s folding doors. East front has similar pedimented centre with square 6-pane first floor window over throughway arch, which has concealed sliding doors within. Each side has string course, three 6-pane windows above, three arched openings below, window, window, door to left, with radiating-bar sash heads and fanlight to door, window, window, door to right all with fixed fans. Ledged doors with 6-pane window under fan. Wings have string course and parapet, three arched niches to left, to right opened out with 12-pane horned sashes and fans. End pavilions have pediments and big arched recesses around horned 12-pane sash with fixed fan to right, blank window to left pavilion. Left pavilion has blocked S side arched door, right pavilion has 1920s triple casement on N side.
Listed at grade II* as a stable range of unusual architectural quality.
Other nearby listed buildings