This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7929 / 51°47'34"N
Longitude: -4.9784 / 4°58'42"W
OS Eastings: 194703
OS Northings: 214665
OS Grid: SM947146
Mapcode National: GBR CK.Y9TH
Mapcode Global: VH1RL.N6HF
Plus Code: 9C3QQ2VC+4M
Entry Name: Church Cottage
Listing Date: 1 July 1974
Last Amended: 30 November 2005
Source ID: 13032
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on E side of Merlin's Hill, approached from access to Garden House, some 20m down Freemen's Way from roundabout, and sited on bank to left of driveway.
Community: Haverfordwest (Hwlffordd)
Built-Up Area: Haverfordwest
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
One wall of a medieval building, possibly the former chapel of St Mary Magdalene, incorporated into an outbuilding, disused 2005. The building comprises a thick S wall with on the front the deep splayed reveals of medieval pointed windows, thus presumably the internal face of the N wall of the former chapel. The side and low N walls are added, as part of a cottage or outbuilding re-use. Disused in photograph of 1937. The history of the site is very obscure, it was supposedly a leper hospital. There is a reference to a leper house at Rotherengayle in 1473, a name otherwise unknown, and no mention of a chapel. The chapel is recorded in 1564 as having been seized and a survey of 1592 mentions a chapel and a churchyard of half an acre.
Outbuilding, roughcast rubble stone with slate roof of unequal pitches, short slated roof to S front, long roof behind. The building comprises a thick S wall, single storey with the heavily roughcast large reveals to three small blocked pointed windows, one to centre, one to centre right, both over small modern windows, and one to far right. Door and modern small window to left. Rear has long roof, and low wall with C20 square sash windows, 12-pane to right, then door, then three 9-pane windows, the last two set lower.
Interior has monopitch roof and scant signs of the three blocked narrow windows. No cut stone to surrounds.
Included for its special historical interest as remnant of a small medieval chapel.
Other nearby listed buildings