History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Cadoc

A Grade II* Listed Building in Barry, Vale of Glamorgan

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4164 / 51°24'59"N

Longitude: -3.2526 / 3°15'9"W

OS Eastings: 312992

OS Northings: 169347

OS Grid: ST129693

Mapcode National: GBR HV.Q0KK

Mapcode Global: VH6FK.KNVJ

Plus Code: 9C3RCP8W+HX

Entry Name: Church of St Cadoc

Listing Date: 18 September 1962

Last Amended: 30 March 1995

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 13175

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: At junction of Coldbrook Road West and Brock Street in small churchyard.

County: Vale of Glamorgan

Community: Barry (Y Barri)

Community: Barry

Locality: Cadoxton

Built-Up Area: Barry

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Barry

History

Church here since C12. Present building has C13 chancel, C15 nave and tower probably at expense of local Andrew family, C16 S porch. Extensive Victorian restoration, including rebuilding of nave walls, 1885, by John Price Jones, architect, of Cardiff.

Exterior

Grey rubble, chancel rendered, slate roofs. Saddleback W tower has trefoil window to each side at belfry level, below these to S, round-headed light, then trefoil light and round-headed light at ground level; doorway to W. South gabled porch with simple pointed arched doorway, stone benches. To each side of porch, nave has windows of 3 cusped lights with square hoodmoulds, and to R, shallow rectangular stair projection; to N, nave has 2 small windows, and, to W 3-light window. Chancel (stepped down) has, to S, window of 2 cusped lights with square hoodmould; E window of 2 lights (inserted 1828); narrow window to N.

Interior

Walls plastered, simple chamfers to exposed stones of tower and chancel arches. Stone tower stair in NE corner. Chancel has wooden altar and reredos in Decorated style (1920's; moved from St John's Church 1951); C17 communion rail with balusters, piscina beneath chancel S window. Nave has Gothic doorway to stairs to former rood-loft (SE corner of nave). Nave roof dates from 1885 restoration. Norman font with roll-mouldings.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.