History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barn at Biglis Farm

A Grade II Listed Building in Dinas Powys, Vale of Glamorgan

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.421 / 51°25'15"N

Longitude: -3.2346 / 3°14'4"W

OS Eastings: 314247

OS Northings: 169827

OS Grid: ST142698

Mapcode National: GBR HV.PR2Z

Mapcode Global: VH6FK.WKB1

Entry Name: Barn at Biglis Farm

Listing Date: 3 May 2002

Last Amended: 3 May 2002

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 26510

Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence

Location: Farmyard lies to E of farmhouse and barn is nearest and at right angles to it.

County: Vale of Glamorgan

Town: Cardiff

Community: Dinas Powys

Community: Dinas Powys

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Dinas Powis

History

Possibly originally C18 or early C19 remodelled in mid C19. Shown on the Tithe Map of 1840 but part of a wholly different farmyard plan to that which had been created by the time of the first edition OS map surveyed 1878, where it is shown as part of an extensive farmyard range. Interestingly the Tithe Map apparently shows an area of surviving strip farming nearby, all plots separately numbered. Ownership separated from the house late 1970s.

Exterior

Long barn, aligned N/S. Built of stone rubble with tooled dressings. Corrugated roof. Most openings are cambered-arched with voussoirs. On the uphill side is the barn, with tall blocked porch with roof extending over, opposing flush double doors to farmyard; ventilation slits to sides at two levels. On downhill side are boarded loft openings, with stone staircase on outer side. Gable end has quoins developing into battered buttresses and paired segmental arches to a cartshed, paired loft openings above and an oculus in gable apex.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a fine barn of regional character from the age of agricultural improvement. Group value with the farmhouse, the two now in separate ownership.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Biglis Farmhouse
    In the low lying land of the Moors around the Cadoxton River, SW of the village and reached by a farm track.
  • II The Old Schoolhouse
    On corner of Coldbrook Road East and Coldbrook Road West.
  • II Cross in Churchyard at Church of St Cadoc
    To S of nave of church.
  • II* Church of St Cadoc
    At junction of Coldbrook Road West and Brock Street in small churchyard.
  • II The Mount
    Facing the Common on ground rising from and SW of the village centre. Set back from the road in a walled garden with entrance comprising tall rendered piers and tall decorative wrought iron gates.
  • II Limekiln
    In a private garden, close to the lane, a cul-de-sac, on the slope S of Cog Road.
  • II* The Old Rectory
    Situated on SW side of the church, within the grounds of The Rectory and reached by a drive through that property.
  • II The Bier House in St Andrew's Churchyard
    In the SW corner of the churchyard facing E.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.