This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.402 / 51°24'7"N
Longitude: -3.5324 / 3°31'56"W
OS Eastings: 293501
OS Northings: 168109
OS Grid: SS935681
Mapcode National: GBR HG.QVKL
Mapcode Global: VH5J4.Q1F2
Plus Code: 9C3RCF29+Q3
Entry Name: St Donats Arts Centre
Listing Date: 16 December 1952
Last Amended: 19 January 2005
Source ID: 13323
Building Class: Education
Location: Immediately to the east of the castle ditch at St Donats Castle.
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Community: St. Donats (Sain Dunwyd)
Community: St. Donats
Locality: St Donats Castle
Built-Up Area: St Donat's
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Thought to be of medieval origins and possibly dating mainly from the later C16. It is a surviving building from the St. Donat's Home Farm. Both the barn and the lower extension on the south-east seem to be shown on the Buck brothers' engraving of 1740. The barn was carefully repaired and converted into St. Donat's Arts Centre in 1973-7 by Alex. Gordon and Partners.
Local lias limestone rubble walls, partly rendered, with a Welsh slate roof. South-west elevation (facing the Castle) from the left, ventilator slit in blocked doorway with stone dressings and voussoirs, with small opening above, below eaves; central wide segmentally arched barn doorway flanked by full height buttresses faced with pebbledash, the arch has probably been rebuilt; the south-east part of this elevation is also faced in pebbledash. South-east end with window of 2-lights with dripstone, set high in gable. North-east elevation has quoins, with deep arched barn doorway in centre, with single light window slit to left hand and with a lower segmentally arched doorway to right hand; this appears to be an alteration, small opening under the eaves.
Against the south-east end of the barn there is a further, lower wing with stone walls. In its south-east gable, there is a segmental doorway and window on ground floor, a single light window on first floor and a 2-light mullioned window to attic. The wing at right angles to this, on the south-west, appears to be substantially of the 1970s.
The interior of the main barn area was not available for inspection at resurvey, but it is known to have whitewashed walls and an eight bay collar truss roof. The south-east wing has a ground floor with two chamfered ceiling beams.
Included for its special interest and group value as a part of St. Donat's Castle and its associated gardens.
Other nearby listed buildings