History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Inn at the Deep End (former Penarth Baths & Supervisor's Office)

A Grade II Listed Building in Penarth, Vale of Glamorgan

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4356 / 51°26'8"N

Longitude: -3.1681 / 3°10'5"W

OS Eastings: 318902

OS Northings: 171377

OS Grid: ST189713

Mapcode National: GBR HY.NXGB

Mapcode Global: VH6FM.15JT

Entry Name: Inn at the Deep End (former Penarth Baths & Supervisor's Office)

Listing Date: 20 July 1984

Last Amended: 21 January 1993

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 13352

Building Class: Commercial

Location: On corner of The Esplanade and Bridgeman Road.

County: Vale of Glamorgan

Community: Penarth

Community: Penarth

Locality: The Esplanade

Built-Up Area: Penarth

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Penarth

History

1883-85. By H C Harris and H Snell, architects, Cardiff and Penarth. Conversion to public house and restaurant 1991.

Exterior

Jacobean style. Main frontage in 2 parts: on left, towered entrance block fronting the (former) small pool; on right, basilican facade to the (former) large pool. Blue lias facings. Dressings of Bath stone and yellow brick, red sandstone string courses, artificial slate roofs. Octagonal tower with diminishing stages, ogee (leaded) dome, swagged frieze. Strapwork panels over first floor. Heavy angle volutes flank 'Public Baths' tablet with segmental pediment over heavy cornice to Ionic doorpiece, flying stair to double doors. Lower flanking bays have carved pediments with urns, swags, dolphins etc and stone mullioned windows (right hand partly blocked by modern extension). Similar return bay in Bridgeman Road. Right hand facade has finely carved pediment with griffin supporting town arms, 3 Ionic pilasters rest on heavy stringcourse, paired oculi with enriched architraves over rectangular windows. Lower flanking bays with pilasters and segmental window surrounds.

Supervisor's cottage in Bridgeman Road is attached to SW corner of the baths, 2-storey rubble and brick in simplified version of same style, but with half-timbered porch.

Interior

Entrance hall retains original boarded and ribbed ceiling. To rear, former small pool room with lightweight metal trusses to roof with longitudinal lantern. Former large pool room converted to multi-level bar-restaurant but retains longitudinal lantern to boarded roof supported by arched girder trusses with fretwork detailing to spandrels. Truss ends seated on ironwork volutes to west wall, on stone corbels at impost level to aisled east wall (10 bays). Red and yellow patterned brickwork walls (formerly glazed) with round arch treatment to long walls, east aisle with half arches abutting rear of arcades.

Reasons for Listing

Group Value.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.