This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.435 / 51°26'6"N
Longitude: -3.1662 / 3°9'58"W
OS Eastings: 319030
OS Northings: 171317
OS Grid: ST190713
Mapcode National: GBR HY.NY09
Mapcode Global: VH6FM.26H7
Plus Code: 9C3RCRPM+2G
Entry Name: Penarth Pier (includingI Pavilion & Shops)
Listing Date: 4 November 1975
Last Amended: 21 January 1993
Source ID: 13355
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Entrance on The Esplanade opposite Bridgeman Road.
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Built-Up Area: Penarth
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Built in 1894 to the design of H F Edwards, completed February 1895. Landing stage rebuilt in 1926 in ferro-concrete. Pavilion completed in May 1929, when the landward end of the pier was rebuilt in concrete. On August Bank Holiday 1931, a Ballroom on the E end of the pier burnt down, destroying wooden decking and all other buildings on the pier except the present pavilion. Further rebuilding following ship collision in 1947.
Approx. 200 m long, and 15 m wide at landing stage end. Central (original) section on cast iron piles with wooden decking, landward and landing stage ends have concrete piles and decking. Cast iron traceried balcony railings, and lamp standards. At seaward end, steamer ticket office of boarded wooden construction. On central section, 2 shelters of boarded wooden construction, with overhanging eaves.
At landward end, facing Bridgeman Road, pavilion in reinforced concrete, in Indian style popular for entertainment buildings in the 1920's. By M F Edwards, architect, designed 1927. Main block has tapering corner towers, with corner pilasters, and capped with pinnacled Moghul Style roofs having deeply overhanging bracketed eaves. Towers have large windows with diaper grilles and beneath these, 2 tiers of smaller paired windows, some retaining original diaper glazing.
West (landward) end at ground level flanked by concave wings (containing shops, kiosks etc.) in classical style with Roman Doric columns. Convex entrance lobby with 3 doorways separated by piers with niches. Adamesque ceiling decoration to interior. Between towers, parapet with pierced diaper decoration. On second floor, door with flanking square windows. First floor convex bay with three large glazed openings giving access to terrace over entrance.
Seaward (W) elevation similar to landward but with glazed convex classical colonnade to 'Captain's Bar'.
Side elevations of 11 bays articulated by concrete ribs to barrel-vaulted roof. Four tall windows (modern small-pane glazing) with segmental-headed architraves and linked by cornice continue upward the line of lower walls whilst roof recedes behind and is crowned by longitudinal ventilators at ridge.
Other nearby listed buildings