History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Paget Rooms

A Grade II Listed Building in Penarth, Vale of Glamorgan

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4358 / 51°26'8"N

Longitude: -3.1762 / 3°10'34"W

OS Eastings: 318338

OS Northings: 171407

OS Grid: ST183714

Mapcode National: GBR HY.NV2N

Mapcode Global: VH6FL.W5RP

Entry Name: Paget Rooms

Listing Date: 21 January 1993

Last Amended: 21 January 1993

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 13377

Building Class: Commercial

Location: Immediately to R of Stanwell Road Baptist Church Sunday School.

County: Vale of Glamorgan

Community: Penarth

Community: Penarth

Built-Up Area: Penarth

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Penarth

History

Built on land donated by Earl of Plymouth in 1906. Architect John Coates Carter of Penarth.

Exterior

Entrance front faces roughly SW. Roughcast render (painted) over brown glazed brick plinth. Upper storey has row of seven small pane casement windows with small round window to L. Parapet above.
Central main entrance consists of low round arch flanked by Ionic columns with exaggerated capitals. Paired glazed wooden doors with multi-paned overlight. Above arch, pair of small-pane casement windows flanked by aedicules enclosing cartouches. Entrance arch flanked by two taller arches (with keystones and raised voussoir-like decoration) enclosing at first floor level semi-circular small pane windows, and at ground floor level, to each side, shopfronts consisting of door with oval window, and two-light corbelled polygonal shop window; multi-pane overlights. Beyond shopfronts to L, small single light loop window, and to R, small two light window. Sides rendered with small-pane glazing to service/dressing rooms.

Interior

Vestibule with panelled side walls with oval mirrors leads to enrtance hall (modernised); to R stairs to balcony. Auditorium with broad coved ceiling, two central ventilators with moulded architraves; each side has longitudinal ceiling glazing of four lights with moulded architraves.
Sides each with four deep tall round-arched bays; modern seating in recesses below theatre boxes with bulbous balcony fronts (boxes interconnect to rear). Balcony to SW end (largely modernised); kitchen accommodation overlooking Victoria Road. Above kitchen, caretaker's flat. Stage (modernised) to NE end of auditorium; behind stage dressing/service rooms, ledged boarded doors with long strap hinges, staircase to R has balusters with pierced heart-shaped decoration.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.