This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4368 / 51°26'12"N
Longitude: -3.178 / 3°10'40"W
OS Eastings: 318213
OS Northings: 171522
OS Grid: ST182715
Mapcode National: GBR HY.NMBN
Mapcode Global: VH6FL.V4SX
Plus Code: 9C3RCRPC+PQ
Entry Name: Church Hall attached to Trinity Methodist Church
Listing Date: 21 January 1993
Last Amended: 21 January 1993
Source ID: 13368
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: On prominent corner site at junction of Stanwell Road and Woodland Place
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Built-Up Area: Penarth
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Non-conformist church with impressive spire in C19 version of Perpendicular Style. Opened January 1901 replacing iron church on site. Architect of church Harry Budgen of J P Jones, Richards, and Budgen of 18 St Mary St, Cardiff. Hall opened May 1897.
Plan and Materials: Oriented E-W with altar at E end. Nave of 4 bays with 3 bay aisles to N and S (W aisle bays; N and S transepts; chancel with organ chamber to N. Tower in S angle between S transept and Aisle. Semi-octagonal porch at W end. Ministers vestry between tower and chancel; larger choir vestry to N of organ chamber connected to minister's vestry by corridor behind altar. Attached two-storey hall to E. Church in grey-brown stone with bathstone dressings, slate roofs, some shafts in polished granite. Hall in grey stone with bathstone dressings (rear elevation has dressings and quoins in yellow brick).
Exterior: West front has five cusped-light window and semi-octagonal porch with segmentally headed two-light windows. South elevation; clerestorey with three segmentally headed 4-light windows each with smaller inner lights; below these, aisles have W bay at an angle; stepped crenellated parapet; three two-light segmentally-headed windows; bays articulated by stepped buttresses. Transept gable has large four light window; bathstone panelling in apex. Pinnacled tower has buttresses and parapet with quatrefoil decoration; three stages surmounted by broach spire with lucarnes; iron weathervane. Bell stage with two 2-light windows with quatrefoil panelling below; band of foiled panel work; below this broad window of four cusped lights. Lowest tower stage has entrance doorway flanked by polished pink granite shafts (floral bathstone capitals); boarded doors with ornate iron hinges.
North elevation follows S elevation but transept (W side) has blocked doorway; to E gabled vestry with three light window and small porch with blocked segmentally-headed doorway.
Church and hall in enclosure with low wall; octagonal gatepiers with bathstone Gothic capstones. To R of W front of church, Portland stone cross War Memorial.
Interior: West porch separated from nave by oak traceried screen. Three bay nave with raked wood-block floor. Arcades carried on octagonal pink sandstone shafts (St Bees' stone); foiled panel work in spandrels. West crossing piers consist of three grouped octagonal shafts. Panelled and boarded coved ceiling supported by wall-posts on floral corbels; transept roofs pointed wooden vaults. North transept has broad organ-chamber arch and paired Gothic arches (tracery over) to vestry. S transept two Gothic doorways to vestry and tower porch. Chancel has tall arch to organ chamber (N) with hoodmould and inset granite shafts. E end has wooden Gothic reredos with reproduction of Leonardo's 'Last Supper'. Polychrome Italian marble pulpit.
Hall: Two storey main elevation faces S. First floor has central broad six-light window in Perpendicular style flanked by lower two light widows to aisles. Ground floor obscured by modern brick extension but has four-light Perpendicular window and doorways with three-centred heads. Rear elevation facing Woodland Place has camber-headed sash windows .
Interior ground floor modernised. First floor hall has four bays of round headed arches supported on cast-iron columns; longitudinal lantern with Tudor arches.
Fifty-Fourth Annual Report of the Wesleyan Chapel Committee, 1899, p 195.
Capel (The Chapels Heritage Society) Local Information Sheet 2, 1991.
Other nearby listed buildings