This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4312 / 51°25'52"N
Longitude: -3.1816 / 3°10'53"W
OS Eastings: 317950
OS Northings: 170904
OS Grid: ST179709
Mapcode National: GBR HY.P0DG
Mapcode Global: VH6FL.S9V6
Plus Code: 9C3RCRJ9+F8
Entry Name: The Red House
Listing Date: 21 January 1993
Last Amended: 21 January 1993
Source ID: 13380
Building Class: Domestic
Location: 60 Victoria Road
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Built-Up Area: Penarth
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Plans date from December 1901. Architect John Coates Carter, of Penarth for self and Swiss wife.
Eclectic Arts and Crafts style with Swiss accents (Carter's wife was Swiss). Grey stone plinth, red brick walls with dry dash render (painted); some weatherboarding. Red tiled roof, turrets, oriels. Tall red brick chimneys. Most windows replaced respecting original openings and following original patterns as far as possible.
Victoria Road front has broad gable end with lower projecting gabled block to L; porch in angle between blocks; projecting single storey service block clasping N corner. Main gable has, at attic level, broad window and tall stair window; on first floor two-light and four light windows; on ground floor to R, round arched window, and above porch four-light window (lead cames) with bathstone mullions. Flat roofed porch with flared pyramidal roof with tall finial over square-headed entrance doorway. Smaller gable has belcote-like apex with finial. Three light window near gable apex. To L of gable red brick chimney. On first floor, below bathstone band, one two-light and two single-light windows. On ground floor, two camber-headed windows. Single-storey service block (hipped roof) clasps corner.
Garden front has broad weatherboarded and rendered gable with attic oriel window with side lights. First floor has, to L, large window rising into gable, two small-pane windows and door with marginal windows giving onto balcony. Balcony supported on rendered columns (glazing between columns and house modern) of verandah, parapet of semi-circular tiles. To R of balcony polygonal turret over ground floor bay, complex hipped roof with tall finial, to L door to balcony. Ground floor has projecting bay to L, in angle between verandah and house, roof hipped to L; turreted bay to R, roof sweeps down on R, two-light and single light windows to garden.
Set back under balcony is broad elliptical arched glazing to main room (with French doors); art nouveau red and green stained glass above.
Terrace on grey stone plinth, brick parapet with semi-circular tiles.
House retains original arts and crafts interiors, largely unspoilt. Porch with oak entrance door. Entrance hall; staircase with oak handrail and splat balusters with Voyseyesque pierced heart motif. Elliptical headed double ledged and braced oak doors (braces curvilinear with Swiss flavour). Doors on ground floor have door locks and latches from Coates Carter's collection of antique Swiss/South German door furniture.
To R of hall, sitting room with contemporary fireplace. To L of hall is kitchen, modernised with service rooms to front. To rear of hall, occupying full width of house, large hall type living room. Oak ceiling beams; oak panelling circa 1.8m high. Ingle type contemporary fireplace under lower quadrant-shaped ceiling; paired oak seats built into shallow semi-hexagonal bay. Screen to L of main door; boarded oak doors to kitchen and sitting room. Broad elliptical arched glazing to main room (with French doors); art nouveau red and green stained glass above.
On first floor, ledged and braced doors with contemporary door furniture. Bedrooms with high coved ceilings and original built-in cupboards.
Staircase continues in same style to attics which include broad room (said to have once been nursery) with splayed window facing Bristol Channel.
Listed as example of prominent local architect's eclectic Arts & Crafts style relatively unaffected by reglazing, and for fine largely unaltered contemporary interior.
Other nearby listed buildings