History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lloyd's Bank

A Grade II Listed Building in Penarth, Vale of Glamorgan

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4389 / 51°26'20"N

Longitude: -3.1738 / 3°10'25"W

OS Eastings: 318511

OS Northings: 171753

OS Grid: ST185717

Mapcode National: GBR HY.NND3

Mapcode Global: VH6FL.Y308

Entry Name: Lloyd's Bank

Listing Date: 19 November 1990

Last Amended: 21 January 1993

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 13383

Building Class: Commercial

Location: At the corner with Albert Road, at the roundabout at the top of Stanwell Road. Built together with the adjoining Windsor Arcade.

County: Vale of Glamorgan

Community: Penarth

Community: Penarth

Built-Up Area: Penarth

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Penarth

History

Built in 1898 as one block together with the Windsor Arcade; designed by Edward Webb as a commercial development for Solomon Andrews, the well known Cardiff entrepreneur, on Plymouth estate land.

Exterior

Free Classical style, ashlar fronted 3-storey block with channelled ground floor; slate roof with yellow brick chimney stacks. 3-bays to Windsor Road and 5-bays to E side which turns the corner into Albert Road. The bays on the main front are slightly narrower than on the Windsor arcade but the strong horizontal emphasis in the design is repeated by continuing the cornices and deep bands between the floors, that to 2nd floor is blind balustraded; this is continued around the corner and along the Albert Road front. On the Windsor Road front, pilasters divide the bays; Tuscan, part fluted to 2nd floor and fluted Corinthian style to 1st floor; paired pilasters to ends. Horned sash windows, square headed to 2nd floor and round arched to 1st floor, the latter with keystones and imposts. Bracketed pediment to centre over round arched main entrance; lower flanking round arched windows. The E side turning the corner into Albert Road has similar windows to 1st and 2nd floors but the bays are not divided by pilasters; the 2nd bay and the 4th and 5th bays together are advanced and each of these has twinned 1st floor windows with engaged central colonnettes. Segmental headed banking windows to ground floor with keystones and aprons; modern fascias inserted into entablature. 2-storey (?later) range stepped down to right including 1st floor oriel. The rear adjoins the side of the arcade.

Interior

Modernised banking hall.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a well preserved and prominently sited late C19 Classical building and for its importance to Penarth as being part of the most significant commercial development in the town in this period.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.