History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Post Office

A Grade II Listed Building in Penarth, Vale of Glamorgan

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4394 / 51°26'21"N

Longitude: -3.1734 / 3°10'24"W

OS Eastings: 318536

OS Northings: 171807

OS Grid: ST185718

Mapcode National: GBR HY.NGH6

Mapcode Global: VH6FL.Y26X

Entry Name: Post Office

Listing Date: 19 November 1990

Last Amended: 21 January 1993

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 13335

Building Class: Communications

Location: On the northern corner with Ludlow Lane.

County: Vale of Glamorgan

Community: Penarth

Community: Penarth

Built-Up Area: Penarth

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Penarth

History

Dated 1936; designed by A R Myers, an HM Office of Works architect; the contractors were Messrs Davies and Davies. Opened on 4th November 1936. Art Deco style with characteristic horizontal strip glazing, fluted ornament and wrap-round effect of the rounded corner; the building shows probable influence of transport related buildings in the London area. At the time of completion it is likely to have been at the forefront of Post Office design. Single-storey extension (stylistically in-keeping) 1990.

Exterior

Exterior: Two storeys; red brick construction with artificial blue Pennant stone facade given painted roughcast render above plinth; high parapet with coping concealing roof. 5-window facade to Albert Road, 1-window to rounded corner and 2-windows to Ludlow Lane. The windows on both floors are contained within continuous recessed bands, deeper to ground floor; both bands have sills and shallow drip moulds and the spaces between the windows are ornamented to top and bottom by fluted detail. The casement windows were originally steel-framed - now mostly replaced but to a similar design, those on the ground floor being top-opening. The horizontal emphasis of the design is continued in the dominant horizontal glazing bars, vertical bars being reserved for the 3-light windows. The corner windows are not rounded but are slightly splayed; above is the rectangular 'GVR 1936' plaque. The main entrance is midway along the Albert Road front; bracketed polygonal canopy over door which has deep and angular metal traceried overlight. Modern PO sign and ramp for disabled. At the N end is the 5-bay modern extension with similar glazing set in horizontal band. Stepped down to W in Ludlow Lane is a low and narrow section linking with the 5-window single storey rear range. Pivot windows set in a horizontal band and with similar glazing; advanced square panels between each window. At the rear this range terminates in a broad facade with low pediment to centre; the coping is continued across this; slightly altered to right by fire escape.

Interior

The ground floor interior has been modernised.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as rare local example of public building in this style of architecture and for its contribution to townscape in centre of Penarth.

Group value.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Pillar Box outside the Post Office
    On the pavement outside the Post Office, uphill from the main entrance.
  • II Windsor Arcade Building
    Near the corner with Albert Road and the roundabout at the top of Stanwell Road. Built together with the adjoining Lloyd's Bank. The arcade runs through the building to Ludlow Lane at the rear.
  • II Lloyd's Bank
    At the corner with Albert Road, at the roundabout at the top of Stanwell Road. Built together with the adjoining Windsor Arcade.
  • II Public Library
    Set in the slope between Rectory Lane and Rectory Road; the main entrance is now at the corner in Rectory Road.
  • II Telephone Call-box on the edge of Albert Road Gardens
    Set back from the pavement between two sections of cast-iron railings forming the western boundary to this small public garden. Almost opposite Albert Road Primary School.
  • II Telephone Call-box at the corner with Church Avenue
    On the pavement near the kerb, close to the SE corner with Church Avenue and opposite the junction with Church Road.
  • II Albert Road County Infants School
    Set in the slope opposite the top end of the public gardens. Stepped forecourt wall with gate piers.
  • II School House
    Set in the slope opposite the top end of the public gardens. Stepped forecourt wall with gate piers.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.