History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Telephone Call-box at the corner with Church Avenue

A Grade II Listed Building in Penarth, Vale of Glamorgan

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4396 / 51°26'22"N

Longitude: -3.1703 / 3°10'12"W

OS Eastings: 318757

OS Northings: 171832

OS Grid: ST187718

Mapcode National: GBR HY.NH9M

Mapcode Global: VH6FM.02CP

Entry Name: Telephone Call-box at the corner with Church Avenue

Listing Date: 23 November 1990

Last Amended: 21 January 1993

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 13348

Building Class: Communications

Location: On the pavement near the kerb, close to the SE corner with Church Avenue and opposite the junction with Church Road.

County: Vale of Glamorgan

Town: Penarth

Community: Penarth

Community: Penarth

Built-Up Area: Penarth

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Penarth

History

G VI R, K6-type. Square red kiosk of cast-iron construction to the standard design of Giles Gilbert Scott, architect of London. Design introduced by GPO in 1936; this example manufactured by Carron and Company, Stirlingshire.

Exterior

Domed roof with 4 lunettes containing King George VI embossed crowns over red lettered opals and ventilation slits. Raised surrounds with marginal bars to horizontal glazing; blank rear, moulded plinth.

Reasons for Listing

Included for its contribution to Penarth Conservation Area.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Telephone Call-box on the edge of Albert Road Gardens
    Set back from the pavement between two sections of cast-iron railings forming the western boundary to this small public garden. Almost opposite Albert Road Primary School.
  • II Pillar Box outside the Post Office
    On the pavement outside the Post Office, uphill from the main entrance.
  • II Post Office
    On the northern corner with Ludlow Lane.
  • I St Augustine's Parish Church
    In walled churchyard on highest part of Penarth Head; entrance close to junction with St Augustine's Place.
  • II School House
    Set in the slope opposite the top end of the public gardens. Stepped forecourt wall with gate piers.
  • II Albert Road County Infants School
    Set in the slope opposite the top end of the public gardens. Stepped forecourt wall with gate piers.
  • II Windsor Arcade Building
    Near the corner with Albert Road and the roundabout at the top of Stanwell Road. Built together with the adjoining Lloyd's Bank. The arcade runs through the building to Ludlow Lane at the rear.
  • II Lloyd's Bank
    At the corner with Albert Road, at the roundabout at the top of Stanwell Road. Built together with the adjoining Windsor Arcade.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.