This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4027 / 51°24'9"N
Longitude: -3.2624 / 3°15'44"W
OS Eastings: 312279
OS Northings: 167835
OS Grid: ST122678
Mapcode National: GBR HT.QXRR
Mapcode Global: VH6FR.D0MH
Entry Name: Former Customs House and Mercantile Marine Office
Listing Date: 30 July 1990
Last Amended: 30 March 1995
Source ID: 13446
Building Class: Commercial
Location: On sloping site at the junction of Dockview Road; rounded corner.
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Community: Barry (Y Barri)
Built-Up Area: Barry
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Built between 1901 and 1910, architect not known.
Neo Baroque red brick building with Portland stone dressings including band courses; two storeys and attic with basement to the Dockview Road side. Slate roof and brick chimney stacks; small cupola and Doric columns containing navigation lantern. Five window main front (to Station Street) with gables to end bays and overall dentil cornice and frieze. The L gable has broad chimney stack to apex and ball finials to kneelers; circular attic window with freestone surround. The right hand gable has similar kneelers and tall apex finial; rectangular attic window. Both have horned sashes below the semicircular and sculptured pediments. The first floor centre has 3-linked cross-frame windows with freestone surrounds ornamented by Ionic pilasters with animal and heraldic carved bases. Round-headed small pane windows below with lugged architraves, keystones and bracket sills. The main entrance is to the left; tall pedimented doorcase with Ionic pilasters, inscribed frieze and elaborate sculptured detail within the pediment. Smaller pedimented doorcase to R end. Dentil cornice and parapet spans the rounded corner; the roof is also curved with 3 gabled dormers. Five round-headed casement windows grouped to 1st floor in freestone surround with swagged aprons and dividing Ionic pilasters. Stepped square headed staircase windows below; the left hand lower line of these steps down into the channelled plinth which becomes a basement storey on the Dockview Road elevation. This is a 3 3 window front with to R, Dutch-like gable with ''ER'' insignia to kneelers. Raised aedicule to apex with pediment and ball finial and containing armorial shield. Thermal window below with keyblocks and Edward VII''s crown to keystone. Dentil cornice continued round 2nd floor segmental oriel which has balustraded parapet with large Royal Coat of Arms to centre. Ionic pilasters flank horned sashes, keyblocked tripartite window below. To L are three 2nd floor windows similar to those on rounded corner; unornamented windows below. Iron barred basement windows flanking doorways.
Internally the hall has Ionic columns and pilasters with scagliola work. Pedimented architraves and round-headed doorways. Corner windows light tall stairwell; the landing has similar marble effect column.
Included as imposing commercial building with historical links to port of Barry.
Other nearby listed buildings